Kinematics : Relation between the velocities of 3 particles

In summary: Choice 3: v = v1cos(45°t+v2sin(45°t))The equation says that the velocity of the particle will be the sum of the velocities of the two components. So if the X axis ball were at (1,0) and the Y axis ball were at (0,1) then the diagonal ball would be at (1,1). But that's not a line and never will be a line.The equation says that the velocity of the particle will be the sum of the velocities of the two components. So if the X axis ball were at (1,0) and the Y axis ball were at (0,1) then the
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

kinematics.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Apologies for a bit hazy picture .Let the three particles be in a line after time 't' . If the inclined line (path of v) from the origin is perpendicular to the hypotenuse then we could write vt= v1cos45°t = v2cos45°t . But then it also means v1 = v2 .

Could someone help me with the problem .

Attachments

• kinematics.jpg
    kinematics.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 673
Physics news on Phys.org
So you have three particles released from the origin simultaneously. One with a velocity v1 along the x axis, a second with velocity v2 along the y-axis and a third with a velocity v along the 45 degree diagonal in between.

We are not explicitly told that the particles are released from the origin simultaneously. That is an assumption on my part. I make it because the problem is pointless otherwise. All three velocities could be arbitrary.

We are told that the particles are eventually collinear at some time t and asked to find a relation between v1, v2 and v. I do not see a statement that the line connecting the three particles need be perpendicular to the path of the diagonally moving particle.

Question for you: If the particles are collinear at some time t (t not equal to 0), are they collinear at all other times t'?

[The point of asking this question is to allow us to dispense with velocities and reason directly about positions instead]

Since this is posed as a multiple choice question, an attractive approach is to start by eliminating the obviously incorrect alternatives.

Likes Jahnavi
jbriggs444 said:
Question for you: If the particles are collinear at some time t (t not equal to 0), are they collinear at all other times t'?

Sorry . I can't think of a condition which either makes the particles collinear or not .

Jahnavi said:
Sorry . I can't think of a condition which either makes the particles collinear or not .
OK. Let's ask a simpler set of questions:
1. What are the positions of the three particles at time t?
2. What are the positions of the three particles at time t/2?

Likes Jahnavi
By position you mean coordinates of the particles ?

Jahnavi said:
By position you mean coordinates of the particles ?
Yes.

Let us call particle with velocity v1 , A . Particle with velocity v , B .Particle with velocity v2 , C .

A at time t = (v1t,0)

B at time t = (vt/√2,vt/√2)

C at time t = (0,v2t)

Jahnavi said:
Let us call particle with velocity v1 , A . Particle with velocity v , B .Particle with velocity v2 , C .

A at time t = (v1t,0)

B at time t = (vt/√2,vt/√2)

C at time t = (0,v2t)
A is correct for time t.
B is correct for time t.
C is correct for time t.

You have not answered for time t/2.

Edit: confused myself at first on B. You were correct.

jbriggs444 said:
You have not answered for time t/2

A at time t/2= (v1t/2,0)

B at time t = (vt/2√2,vt/2√2)

C at time t = (0,v2t/2)

Jahnavi said:
A at time t/2= (v1t/2,0)

B at time t = (vt/2√2,vt/2√2)

C at time t = (0,v2t/2)
Now, a principle of analytic geometry (or linear algebra) is that if you take a geometric figure, multiply all of the coordinates of its vertices by a single fixed multiple and look at the resulting geometric figure, the two figures will be "similar". In particular, if you have three points on a line and multiply their coordinates by the same multiple, you'll have three points on a different, parallel line.

From this you should be able to conclude that if A, B and C are collinear at time t, they are collinear at time t/2 and, in fact, at all times.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks . I get the right answer :smile:

jbriggs444 said:
Since this is posed as a multiple choice question, an attractive approach is to start by eliminating the obviously incorrect alternatives.

Dimensionally all four options look okay . How do we find the obvious incorrect alternatives ?

Jahnavi said:
Thanks . I get the right answer :smile:
Dimensionally all four options look okay . How do we find the obvious incorrect alternatives ?
Choice 1: v = v1 + v2

If the X axis ball were at (1,0) and the Y axis ball were at (0,1) that would put the diagonal ball at (1,1). That's not a line and never will be a line.

Choice 2: v = ##\sqrt{v_1 v_2}##

That means that v is the geometric mean of v1 and v2. So if v1=1 and v2=1 then v=1. But that means that (1,0), (0,1) and (##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2},\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}##) would have to be all on the same line. But no, they're obviously on the same circle instead.

That sort of thing.

Likes Jahnavi

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the factors that cause the motion, such as forces or mass.

2. How is velocity related to kinematics?

Velocity is one of the basic quantities in kinematics, along with position, acceleration, and time. It describes the rate of change of an object's position over time and is a crucial factor in understanding an object's motion.

3. What is the role of time in kinematics?

Time is an essential component in kinematics as it helps to determine the rate at which an object is moving. It is used to calculate the change in position and velocity of an object over a specific period.

4. What is the relation between the velocities of three particles?

In kinematics, the relation between the velocities of three particles can be described using the principle of relative motion. It states that the velocity of one particle relative to another is equal to the sum of their individual velocities.

5. How can kinematics be applied in real-life situations?

Kinematics has various applications in everyday life, such as understanding the motion of vehicles on the road, predicting the trajectory of objects in sports, and analyzing the movement of planets and stars in astronomy.