1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics - relative velocities

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1

srh

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have attached a picture of the situation. Small Wheels attached to the ends of rod AB roll along two surfaces. Knowing that at the instant shown the velocity vA of wheel A is 1.5 m/s to the right and the relative velocity vB/A of wheel B with respect to wheel A is perpendicular to rod AB, determine the relative velocity vB/A and velocity vB of wheel B.

2. Relevant equations
    vA+vB/A=vA

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that vA+vB/A =vA. I know that the component of vA is 1.5m/s in the x direction. The problems that we have done were all with right angles. I know another way to figure out the problem is to draw the vectors but we don't have all the angles. I can't seem to figure out how to find the angle that the rod AB makes w/ the x-axis. Is there a formula that I am missing? I'm just not sure where to start.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

This thread belongs to the homework section.

You should do some google-ing on vectors and learn more, instead of thinking about missing formulas. Btw, you can solve this graphically too, of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?