Does Kinetic Energy Indicate Temperature or Velocity Based on Scale?

In summary: Temperature is proportional to kinetic energy in classical mechanics, but not in quantum mechanics.The real difference is in the application. In thermodynamics, you have a large group of particles in a box, each with its own kinetic energy. The temperature in the box is the average kinetic energy, or the average mass times velocity squared divided by two, of each particle.
Ontophobe
On very small scales, an object's kinetic energy tells you its temperature, and on larger scales, an object's kinetic energy tells you its velocity. Where's the cut off? I mean, velocity is relativistic, but temperature... isn't... is it? Also, black body radiation decreases a body's temperature over time, but not its velocity. So what's the difference? Related question: How big can a molecule get before its kinetic energy stops telling you how hot it is and starts telling you how fast it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
KE=(mv2)/2. To my knowledge, this equation applies to particles in quantum mechanics as well as classical mechanics. I think the real difference is in the application. In thermodynamics, you have a large group of particles in a box, each with it's own kinetic energy. The temperature in the box is the average kinetic energy, or the average mass times velocity squared divided by two, of each particle. Yes, temperature is proportional to kinetic energy in some sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I give an atom a little push (I'm not saying you can give an atom a push, but that there are ways an atom can move besides being heated up), the kinetic energy of the atom will have nothing to do with its temperature. Similarly, I don't think there is a maximum size for the temperature-kinetic energy relationship. I believe the process in which popcorn kernels (before popping) go crazy when heated up has something to do with this relationship.

Ontophobe said:
On very small scales, an object's kinetic energy tells you its temperature, and on larger scales, an object's kinetic energy tells you its velocity.

That's not true. (And it's hard to answer a question based on an incorrect premise)

Kinetic energy is a function of collective motion; temperature is more a function of random motion.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a flying bird, and a rolling ball.

4. How does scale affect kinetic energy?

Scale affects kinetic energy by changing the mass and velocity of an object. For example, a larger object moving at the same speed as a smaller object will have more kinetic energy due to its greater mass.

5. What is the relationship between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. They are interrelated, as potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.