Kinetic Energy and Wormholes

In summary, the conversation discusses a scene from the book "Ring" by Stephen Baxter where a wormhole time machine is being constructed. During the collapse of the wormhole, the character is sent into a distant space time event, possibly the future. The accuracy of this event is questioned and whether it was a plot device or could be explained by quantum gravity.
CJames
I was wondering about an event that took place in a book I'm reading, Stephen Baxter's "Ring." *Spoiler Alert* Baxter definitely does his research, but I wonder sometimes about the accuracy of some things that take place in his novels. In the novel, a wormhole time machine was being constructed. One of the mouths was still traveling at relativistic speeds, so when somebody attempted to traverse the wormhole the difference in kinetic energy between the two holes apparently caused the wormhole to collapse. This made some sense to me, but I started to question it a little more when during the collapse dozens of wormholes split off temporarily, and apparently sent the character into some distant space time event (possibly the future, I haven't finished the book yet so I'm not entirely sure). Is there any reason to think this would happen, possibly as some effect of quantum gravity, or was this just a plot device?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would tend to assume it's a plot device, but I haven't run any sort of calculation.

First, it's important to note that Stephen Baxter is a science fiction writer, not a scientist. While he does do extensive research for his novels, he may take artistic liberties in order to create a compelling story. With that being said, let's explore the concept of kinetic energy and wormholes.

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of the wormhole time machine in "Ring," one of the wormhole mouths is traveling at relativistic speeds, meaning it is moving close to the speed of light. This would result in a high amount of kinetic energy for that mouth of the wormhole.

Now, when someone attempts to traverse the wormhole, the sudden difference in kinetic energy between the two mouths could potentially cause the wormhole to collapse. This is because the laws of physics dictate that energy must be conserved. In this scenario, the excess kinetic energy from the fast-moving mouth would need to go somewhere. It's possible that this excess energy could cause the wormhole to destabilize and collapse.

As for the temporary splitting of wormholes and the character being sent into a distant space-time event, it's difficult to say whether this could actually happen or if it was just a plot device. The concept of wormholes is still largely theoretical and there is much we don't know about them. Some theories suggest that quantum gravity could play a role in how wormholes behave, but this is still highly debated and not well understood.

In the end, it's important to remember that science fiction is just that - fiction. While it may be based on real science and theories, it is ultimately a work of imagination. So while Baxter may have done his research, it's possible that he took some creative liberties in order to create a more exciting story.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its current velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy measured?

Kinetic energy is measured in Joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). It can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel-like passage through space-time that connects two distant points in the universe. It is often depicted as a shortcut through space, allowing for faster-than-light travel.

4. How does kinetic energy affect wormholes?

Kinetic energy does not directly affect wormholes as they are theoretical constructs. However, the concept of energy, including kinetic energy, is important in understanding the possibility of wormholes and their effects on space-time.

5. Can kinetic energy be used to create a wormhole?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that kinetic energy alone can be used to create a wormhole. The theoretical concept of wormholes involves other factors such as negative energy and exotic matter, not just kinetic energy. However, research and experiments are ongoing to better understand the potential for creating and manipulating wormholes.