1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy density in a string (derivative)

1. Apr 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In our physics course, we were studying one dimensional waves in a string. There, our teacher stated that the kinetic energy in a small piece of a string is [tex]dK=\frac{1}{2}μdx\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}^2[/tex] were μ is the linear density of the string, so he claimed that [tex]\frac{\text{d}K}{\text{d}x}=\frac{1}{2}μ\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}^2[/tex] which is impossible for me to understand, since K is a function of both x and t.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Shouldn't we find the derivative of K=K(x,t) as [tex]\frac{\partial K}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(\frac{1}{2}μx)\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}^2+\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}^2)\frac{1}{2}μx[/tex]
    What am i missing?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2017 #2
    I am going to assume that K is your symbol for kinetic energy (T is the more classical choice).

The statement for dK is correct. This is a differential mass multiplied by the square of the velocity and divided by 2.

The kinetic energy (K) is a single time depenndent quantity, not a function of position. To find K(t), you would need to integrate the expression for dK over the length of the string.

Why does he even bother to write dK/dx? Does he really mean a total derivative, or perhaps a partial derivative?

4. Apr 26, 2017 #3
    Thanks for replying,
    it makes sense that kinetic energy is only a function of time physically, however by looking the equation above since y=y(x,t), shouldn't ∂y/∂t be also a function of both position and time?

5. Apr 26, 2017 #4
    With y = y(x,t), then partial y wrt t is a function of both x and t, so that much is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted