Alpha Decay and Total Kinetic Energy

In summary, the problem asks for the total kinetic energy released in a 211 Po decay, which can be calculated by summing the kinetic energy of the alpha particle and the lead nucleus. Using the conservation of momentum, the equation KE = p^2 / 2m can be used to solve for the missing kinetic energy.
asifion
Homework Statement
The polonium isotope 211 Po is radioactive and undergoes alpha decay. In the decay process, a 211 Po nucleus at rest explodes into an alpha particle (a 4 He nucleus) and a 207 Pb lead nucleus. The lead nucleus is found to have 0.12 MeV of kinetic energy. The energy released in a nuclear decay is the total kinetic energy of all the decay products.

How much energy is released, in MeV, in a 211 Po decay?
Relevant Equations
Ei = Ef
K total = K alpha + K Pb
Since we are looking for K total, I summed the given kinetic energy for lead and the typical kinetic energy of an alpha particle: 0.12 + 5 = 5.12 MeV. My answer is definitely wrong, but I don't how I should approach the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
asifion said:
Problem Statement: The polonium isotope 211 Po is radioactive and undergoes alpha decay. In the decay process, a 211 Po nucleus at rest explodes into an alpha particle (a 4 He nucleus) and a 207 Pb lead nucleus. The lead nucleus is found to have 0.12 MeV of kinetic energy. The energy released in a nuclear decay is the total kinetic energy of all the decay products.

How much energy is released, in MeV, in a 211 Po decay?
Relevant Equations: Ei = Ef
K total = K alpha + K Pb

Since we are looking for K total, I summed the given kinetic energy for lead and the typical kinetic energy of an alpha particle: 0.12 + 5 = 5.12 MeV. My answer is definitely wrong, but I don't how I should approach the problem.
Have you thought about what quantity must be conserved in a decay?

Likes asifion
Energy? Not quite sure what you are getting at. I was thinking Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf where Ki is 0.

asifion said:
Energy? Not quite sure what you are getting at. I was thinking Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf where Ki is 0.
Not energy. Hint: Newton's third law.

Force?

asifion said:
Force?
One thing you must never forget is conservation of momentum.

Likes asifion
But we aren't given any velocity

asifion said:
But we aren't given any velocity
It depends what you mean by "given". You are given the KE and you can look up the mass of the components.

You need to think how KE relates to momentum.

Likes asifion
KE = p^2 / 2m

asifion said:
KE = p^2 / 2m
Good. You need to look at how to solve the problem now. I'm going offline now, but maybe someone else can help if needed.

Thanks for the help; I figured it out.

1. What is alpha decay?

Alpha decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an atomic nucleus releases an alpha particle, which is composed of two protons and two neutrons. This process reduces the atomic number of the nucleus by 2 and the mass number by 4.

2. How is the total kinetic energy of the alpha particle calculated?

The total kinetic energy of an alpha particle can be calculated using the equation Ek = 1/2mv2, where m is the mass of the alpha particle and v is its velocity.

3. What is the relationship between the total kinetic energy and the mass of the alpha particle?

The total kinetic energy of an alpha particle is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the alpha particle increases, so does its total kinetic energy.

4. How does the total kinetic energy affect the range of the alpha particle?

The total kinetic energy of an alpha particle is inversely proportional to its range. This means that as the total kinetic energy increases, the range of the alpha particle decreases. This is because a higher kinetic energy allows the alpha particle to travel faster and therefore penetrate less material before losing all of its energy.

5. What factors can affect the total kinetic energy of an alpha particle?

The total kinetic energy of an alpha particle can be affected by the energy released during alpha decay, the mass of the alpha particle, and any external forces acting on the particle. In addition, the medium through which the alpha particle is traveling can also affect its total kinetic energy, as it can cause the particle to lose energy through collisions or interactions with other particles.