Kinetic energy with compton effect

In summary: So, 1/(Ephoton - Ephoton') is roughly 1/Ephoton, so you can use the same trick as before to estimate Ephoton'.
StephenD420
Show that the recoiling electron has kinetic energy:
K = Ephoton^2*(1-cos phi)/ mc^2 + Ephoton(1-cos phi)

Now I have gotten
K = hc/λ - hc/λ' = hc(λ'-λ)/λ'*λ = hc(Δλ)/λ'*λ
and since λ' = λ + Δλ
K = hc *Δλ/(λ(λ+Δλ)) = hf*Δλ/(λ+Δλ) = (Δλ/λ)/(1+Δλ)*hf

and I know that Δλ = h/mc*(1-cos phi)

but how do I go from what I have gotten to K = Ephoton^2*(1-cos phi)/ mc^2 + Ephoton(1-cos phi)?

Thanks.
Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
bump...Please help

I don't think that expression for the kinetic energy is correct. I can show that
$$K = \frac{E_\gamma^2}{mc^2}(1-\cos\phi) - \left(\frac{K}{mc^2}\right)E_\gamma(1-\cos\phi)$$For the expression you were given to show holds, you'd have to have K/mc2 = -1, which can't be true.

Last edited:
That is the kinetic energy equation given on the homework that my professor gave...

I'll ask the other helpers to see if they have any insight on this problem. Just to clarify, when you say Ephoton, you're referring to the energy of the incident photon, correct? And phi is the angle of the scattered photon? Are you looking at a specific regime or are you supposed to use some approximation?

Last edited:
Ephoton is incident photon and we are finding kinetic energy of the recoiling electron... Please help

Hi StephenD420! :smile:

I believe your formula should be (I think you dropped a couple of parentheses):
$$K = {E_{photon}^2 (1-\cos \phi) \over m_e c^2 + E_{photon}(1-\cos \phi)}$$

For the calculation I'd suggest that you use ##\lambda = {hc \over E_{photon}}## and ##\lambda' = \lambda + {h \over m_e c} (1 - \cos \phi)##.

I looked back at the problem and no I did not drop any parentheses, my professor hand rights his homework so any ideas?

In that case I think your professor dropped the parentheses.

K = hc *Δλ/(λ(λ+Δλ)) = hf*Δλ/(λ+Δλ) = (Δλ/λ)/(1+Δλ)*hf

so how do I go from above to what you got??

ok so I have gotten thus far

1/E' = [mc^2 + E(1-cos phi)]/E*mc^2

now how do I go from here to what you got?

StephenD420 said:
ok so I have gotten thus far

1/E' = [mc^2 + E(1-cos phi)]/E*mc^2

now how do I go from here to what you got?

Calculate E - E', that is, E minus the inverse of what you got there.
From there it is algebraic manipulations to subtract 2 fractions.

ok now if I wanted to show that for very high energy photons and phi = 180 degrees the kinetic energy approaches K = Ephoton - 255.5KeV??

StephenD420 said:
ok now if I wanted to show that for very high energy photons and phi = 180 degrees the kinetic energy approaches K = Ephoton - 255.5KeV??

Since K=Ephoton - Ephoton', you will want to show that Ephoton' = 255.5 keV.

The dependencies on Ephoton can be approximated by the fact that 1/Ephoton is relatively close to zero.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its stated velocity.

2. How does the Compton effect relate to kinetic energy?

The Compton effect is a phenomenon in which a photon loses energy when it collides with a particle, such as an electron. This decrease in energy is equivalent to an increase in the kinetic energy of the particle.

3. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. This conversion follows the law of conservation of energy.

4. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The unit of kinetic energy is joules (J).

5. How does the mass and velocity of an object affect its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that a heavier object or an object with a higher velocity will have a greater kinetic energy.