1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy with diagram

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    Kinetic Energy with diagram!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the figure below, a small block is sent through point A with a speed of 7.5 m/s. Its path is without friction until it reaches the section of length L = 12 m, where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.70. The indicated heights are h1 = 6.5 m and h2 = 1.6 m.

(a) What is the speed of the block at point B?
    (b) What is the speed of the block at point C?

2. Relevant equations

Friction force=mu*force normal

3. The attempt at a solution

First off, ignore the friction stuff because I already got those. I just need help with the 2 specific questions I listed. For a I did K=U so I set .5v^2=gh since the masses cancel out. But I got velocity and it was wrong...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2
    Ooo! I did this one a while back.

Ok the reason you missed the first one is because U @ point a does NOT equal K @ point B. U+K @ a does though. Don't forget it's initially moving.
  4. Nov 27, 2007 #3
    So U+K(point A)=K(point B)?
  5. Nov 27, 2007 #4
    what's point d in there for then, lol
  6. Nov 27, 2007 #5
    It's for another part of the problem I already figured out so don't worry about it lol.
  7. Nov 27, 2007 #6
  8. Nov 27, 2007 #7
    indeed. the second question is similar. Energy total @ point b = energy total @ c

Ergo... K(@b)=U+K(@c)
  9. Nov 27, 2007 #8
  10. Nov 27, 2007 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?