How Does Friction Impact Block Velocity in a Multi-Height Path?

In summary, the scenario involves a small block with initial speed of 7.5 m/s traveling through a path without friction until it reaches a section with length 12 m and coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.70. The heights at points A and B are given as 6.5 m and 1.6 m respectively. The questions are: (a) What is the speed of the block at point B? (b) What is the speed of the block at point C? Using the equations K=.5(mv^2) and U=mgh, the speed at point B can be found by setting K=@B=U+K, and the speed at point C can be found by setting K
dominus96
Kinetic Energy with diagram!

Homework Statement

In the figure below, a small block is sent through point A with a speed of 7.5 m/s. Its path is without friction until it reaches the section of length L = 12 m, where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.70. The indicated heights are h1 = 6.5 m and h2 = 1.6 m.

(a) What is the speed of the block at point B?
(b) What is the speed of the block at point C?

W0156A-N.jpg

Homework Equations

K=.5(mv^2)
U=mgh
F=ma
Friction force=mu*force normal

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, ignore the friction stuff because I already got those. I just need help with the 2 specific questions I listed. For a I did K=U so I set .5v^2=gh since the masses cancel out. But I got velocity and it was wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ooo! I did this one a while back.

Ok the reason you missed the first one is because U @ point a does NOT equal K @ point B. U+K @ a does though. Don't forget it's initially moving.

So U+K(point A)=K(point B)?

what's point d in there for then, lol

It's for another part of the problem I already figured out so don't worry about it lol.

cooolio

indeed. the second question is similar. Energy total @ point b = energy total @ c

Ergo... K(@b)=U+K(@c)

Thanks!

Sure

FAQ: How Does Friction Impact Block Velocity in a Multi-Height Path?

1. What is Kinetic Energy and how is it calculated?

Kinetic Energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its velocity and dividing by 2. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How does Kinetic Energy differ from Potential Energy?

Kinetic Energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while Potential Energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic Energy can be converted into Potential Energy and vice versa, but they are two distinct forms of energy.

3. Can you provide an example of Kinetic Energy in everyday life?

One example of kinetic energy in everyday life is a moving car. As the car moves, it possesses kinetic energy due to its motion. Another example is a person running, as their movement also generates kinetic energy.

4. How does Kinetic Energy affect an object's momentum?

Kinetic Energy and momentum are directly related. As an object's kinetic energy increases, its momentum also increases. This means that an object with a higher kinetic energy will be more difficult to stop or change its direction.

5. Can you provide a diagram explaining the relationship between Kinetic Energy and Velocity?

Yes, a simple diagram can illustrate the relationship between Kinetic Energy and Velocity. As an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy also increases. This is because the formula for kinetic energy includes velocity squared, meaning that even small increases in velocity can result in significant increases in kinetic energy. On the other hand, if an object's velocity decreases, its kinetic energy will also decrease.

Back