How fast will your twin crash into the overturned truck?

In summary, in order to determine the speed of the second twin when he crashes into the overturned truck, you must first find an expression for the acceleration of the first twin. This can be done by using one of the constant acceleration equations, where the change in position (x) is known and the time is unknown. By substituting this expression into the same equation for the second twin, the change in position cancels out and the acceleration can be solved for. This acceleration can then be used to find the final velocity of the second twin using the third relevant equation.
freshcoast

Homework Statement

You and your identical twin are driving identical cars with identical tires down a straight road on a foggy day. You are the more prudent of the two and are driving at a speed of 50 km/hr. Your twin decides to pass you and accelerates to a speed of 70 km/hr, which he maintains as he tries to pass. As his car draws level to yours, each of you sees an overturned truck blocking the road. You each apply the brakes at the same instant and begin to skid towards the truck. You manage to halt a few inches from the truck. Approximately how fast is your twin going when he crashes into it?

Homework Equations

Vf = Vo + at
Δx = Vot + 1/2at^2
Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

for car 1 Vo = 50km/hr
for car 2 Vo = 70km/hr

So far all I can do is convert the velocities to meters per second, understand that for car 1 the final velocity would be 0. Both cars begin to brake at the exact same X initial which is not provided nor is a time or an acceleration rate. I don't if this problem is unsolvable due to not enough information but I can't seem to get any way to begin solving this problem, thanks in advance for any input

Physics news on Phys.org
freshcoast said:

Homework Statement

You and your identical twin are driving identical cars with identical tires down a straight road on a foggy day. You are the more prudent of the two and are driving at a speed of 50 km/hr. Your twin decides to pass you and accelerates to a speed of 70 km/hr, which he maintains as he tries to pass. As his car draws level to yours, each of you sees an overturned truck blocking the road. You each apply the brakes at the same instant and begin to skid towards the truck. You manage to halt a few inches from the truck. Approximately how fast is your twin going when he crashes into it?

Homework Equations

Vf = Vo + at
Δx = Vot + 1/2at^2
Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

for car 1 Vo = 50km/hr
for car 2 Vo = 70km/hr

So far all I can do is convert the velocities to meters per second, understand that for car 1 the final velocity would be 0. Both cars begin to brake at the exact same X initial which is not provided nor is a time or an acceleration rate. I don't if this problem is unsolvable due to not enough information but I can't seem to get any way to begin solving this problem, thanks in advance for any input

How might you find an expression for the acceleration (or deceleration) of the first twin?

I can use one of the constant acceleration equations but I am either missing the change of x or time.

freshcoast said:
I can use one of the constant acceleration equations but I am either missing the change of x or time.

Take a close look at your third Relevant Equation.

Got it! I solve for acceleration for car 1 using relevant eq. 3 and substitute it into the same equation but for car 2 and the change of x cancels out. Thanks!

1. What is kinetic motion?

Kinetic motion is the movement of an object due to its velocity, or its speed and direction. It is a type of motion that involves a change in position over time.

2. How is kinetic motion different from potential motion?

Kinetic motion involves the actual movement of an object, while potential motion is the stored energy an object has due to its position or configuration.

3. What factors affect the kinetic motion of an object?

The factors that affect kinetic motion include the mass of the object, its velocity, and the forces acting upon it, such as friction or gravity.

4. How is kinetic motion measured?

Kinetic motion can be measured in a variety of units, such as meters per second or miles per hour, depending on the system of measurement being used. It can also be measured using equations such as kinetic energy (KE) = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2.

5. How can we calculate the kinetic motion of an object?

The kinetic motion of an object can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity. Additionally, the forces acting on the object can also be taken into account to calculate the total kinetic motion.