Questions on Kinetic Theory of Gases

In summary, the kinetic theory of gases assumes that the intermolecular force of attraction between gas molecules is negligible, and that the pressure is a result of collisions between molecules, ignoring the contribution of IMF. This assumption holds true at high temperatures, where the kinetic energy of the molecules outweighs the potential energy, and at low pressures, where the average distance between molecules is large and the IMF is weaker. The simultaneous existence of high temperature and low pressure is possible, depending on the change in volume. The effects of IMF can also be better understood in terms of gas density rather than pressure.
ananthu
I have some questions on kinetic theory of gases:

kinetic theory assumes that the inter molecular force of attraction between two molecules of a gas is negligible. This assumption applies to the condition that the said gas is either at low pressure or at high temperature. This means, when the gas is at low pressure, the molecules will be far apart and therefore the IMF is negligible. Or,also when at high temperature they will be far apart and same is true.
But the following thing is not clear to me. When the temperature is high, the velocities of the molecules will be also be high and this should result in more number of collisions which will other wise increase the pressure. that is, when the temperature is high the pressure should be also high.

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially, the kinetic theory of gases boils down to the assumption that the pressure is result of the collisions between molecules and ignores the contributions from the IMF. At higher temperatures, the kinetic energy of the molecules will be much higher than the potential energy between the molecules. Thus, the IMF can be neglected. At lower pressures the "average distance" between the molecules will be large & thus the IMF will be weaker.

Thank you for the replly.
But my specific doubts were not answered.

My question is whether it is possible for a gas to exist simultaneously at higher temperature and at lower pressure or higher temperature and at higher pressure?

If so, how? In that case, how to deal with the IMF aspect? If anybody gives explanations with simple illustrations, it will be helpful to me.

ananthu said:
Thank you for the replly.
But my specific doubts were not answered.

My question is whether it is possible for a gas to exist simultaneously at higher temperature and at lower pressure or higher temperature and at higher pressure?

If so, how? In that case, how to deal with the IMF aspect? If anybody gives explanations with simple illustrations, it will be helpful to me.
The point regarding high/low pressures/temperatures is somewhat irrelevant here. The kinetic theory of gases does not assume that the gas is either at a low pressure nor at a high temperature. It merely assumes that the potential energy of the gas is negligible when compared with the kinetic energy of the gas.

Discussion of the corresponding pressures and temperatures is a somewhat misleading over simplification in order to "justify" these assumptions. Roughly, the postulates of kinetic theory can be found on the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_theory . Note the absence of any reference to high/low pressures/temperatures.

Your question of the simultaneous existence of a gas with high temperature and low pressure is moot as it isn't relevant with how we deal with the IMF aspect, as you put it.

Last edited:
"My question is whether it is possible for a gas to exist simultaneously at higher temperature and at lower pressure or higher temperature and at higher pressure?"

That part of your question seems to be answered by pV = nRT; it all depends what you do to V. If you increase V enough at the same time that you increase T, then P can fall, and so on.

This, of course, uses the ideal gas approximation, but in most circumstances the argument will work with real gases.

I've never felt it helpful to discuss the effects of IMFs in terms of gas pressure. It seems to me that it's much more useful to discuss them in terms of gas density.

Last edited:

1. What is the kinetic theory of gases?

The kinetic theory of gases is a model that explains the behavior of gases based on the movement of their particles. It states that gas particles are in constant random motion, and their kinetic energy is directly proportional to their temperature.

2. What are the assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases?

The assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases include that gas particles are in constant random motion, they have negligible volume, and they do not interact with each other except during collisions. It also assumes that the collisions between particles and with the container walls are perfectly elastic.

3. How does the kinetic theory of gases explain gas pressure?

The kinetic theory of gases explains gas pressure as the result of the constant collisions between gas particles and the walls of the container. As particles collide with the walls, they exert a force, and the cumulative effect of these collisions creates the pressure exerted by the gas.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy in the kinetic theory of gases?

The kinetic theory of gases states that temperature is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of gas particles. As temperature increases, the particles move faster, and their kinetic energy increases. Conversely, as temperature decreases, the particles slow down, and their kinetic energy decreases.

5. How does the kinetic theory of gases explain the behavior of gases under different conditions?

The kinetic theory of gases can explain the behavior of gases under different conditions, such as changes in temperature, volume, and pressure. For example, as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of gas particles increases, leading to an increase in their speed and collisions, and therefore an increase in pressure. Similarly, decreasing the volume of a gas will increase the frequency of collisions, resulting in an increase in pressure.