Kirchhoff's Current Law Question

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving a circuit with three resistors connected in parallel. The poster is struggling to solve the question and provides the equation IT=+IR1+IR2+IR3 as a starting point. They ask for help and provide a link to a diagram of the circuit. Another user responds, pointing out that the resistors are in parallel and that the effective resistance is the reciprocal of the total of all three resistors. They also mention that the "10A" indications in the diagram may not actually represent the current values. The original poster then questions the 10 ampere current values and the other user suggests that they may be representations of current meters. They also mention that the diagram should have a
zack7

Homework Statement

I can't seem to solve the question. I know one of the equations is

IT=+IR1+IR2+IR3

but for the other three loops I get the same equation just that the IR is different

Anyone has a idea on how to solve?

[PLAIN]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6356/doentoi.jpg
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In what fashion are the three resistors connected (series or parallel)? What do you know about the relationship between voltage or current for components connected in such fashion?

gneill said:
In what fashion are the three resistors connected (series or parallel)? What do you know about the relationship between voltage or current for components connected in such fashion?

the resistors are in parallel and thus the effective resistance is the reciprocal of the total of all three resistors

i got 2.4mA for the total current which looks incorrect

zack7 said:
the resistors are in parallel and thus the effective resistance is the reciprocal of the total of all three resistors

i got 2.4mA for the total current which looks incorrect

Looks fine to me!

gneill said:
Looks fine to me!

but then what about the 10 ampere currents

zack7 said:
but then what about the 10 ampere currents

Those boxes would seem to be representations of current meters (ammeters) inserted to measure the current in the various circuit branches. I take it that the "10A" indications inside each of them are not the actual current values (else why would you be asked to calculate them?). Could be that they represent a "range setting" for the meters.

Where does the diagram come from? If it's a book, it should somewhere describe the conventions used for its circuit diagrams and notations.

1. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law?

Kirchhoff's Current Law, also known as Kirchhoff's first law or the current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node or junction in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node or junction. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

2. How is Kirchhoff's Current Law applied?

Kirchhoff's Current Law is applied by analyzing the currents at different nodes or junctions in a circuit. It is used to determine the relationship between the currents in different branches of a circuit and to calculate unknown currents.

3. Is Kirchhoff's Current Law valid for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Current Law is valid for both direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC) circuits. However, it is important to note that this law assumes ideal conditions and may not be completely accurate in real-world circuits with non-ideal components.

4. What is the difference between Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Current Law deals with the conservation of charge, while Kirchhoff's Voltage Law deals with the conservation of energy in a circuit. While Kirchhoff's Current Law focuses on currents at nodes or junctions, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law focuses on voltages around a closed loop in a circuit.

5. Can Kirchhoff's Current Law be applied to all circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Current Law can be applied to all circuits, including series and parallel circuits, as well as more complex circuits with multiple loops and nodes. It is a fundamental law of circuit analysis and is essential for understanding and analyzing circuit behavior.