1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchhoff's Current Law Question

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I can't seem to solve the question. I know one of the equations is

IT=+IR1+IR2+IR3

but for the other three loops I get the same equation just that the IR is different

Anyone has a idea on how to solve?

[PLAIN]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6356/doentoi.jpg [Broken]
    Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

In what fashion are the three resistors connected (series or parallel)? What do you know about the relationship between voltage or current for components connected in such fashion?

4. Aug 6, 2011 #3
    the resistors are in parallel and thus the effective resistance is the reciprocal of the total of all three resistors

i got 2.4mA for the total current which looks incorrect

5. Aug 6, 2011 #4

gneill

Looks fine to me!

6. Aug 6, 2011 #5
    but then what about the 10 ampere currents

7. Aug 6, 2011 #6

gneill

Those boxes would seem to be representations of current meters (ammeters) inserted to measure the current in the various circuit branches. I take it that the "10A" indications inside each of them are not the actual current values (else why would you be asked to calculate them?). Could be that they represent a "range setting" for the meters.

Where does the diagram come from? If it's a book, it should somewhere describe the conventions used for its circuit diagrams and notations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook