Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral help

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between placing a voltage source and a current source in a circuit. It is mentioned that the switch arrangement for a current source is different from that for a voltage source. It is also noted that a separate current source will have an electric field inside, unlike a voltage source which does not. The conversation also touches upon the concept of constant current and constant voltage in both types of sources.
RaduAndrei
Consider the circuit from minute 6:57:

So I have an electric field there everywhere in the loop and I can write integral of E*dl as being v and I end up with kirchhoff's rule. (you don't have to watch all the video to respond to this question, just the circuit)

But what if I had an ideal current source in series with a resistor? How do we write integral of E*dl in a closed loop in this case? Do we even have an electric field inside the current source?

If not, how do we reconcile the current source with kvl?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RaduAndrei said:
But what if I had an ideal current source in series with a resistor?
Switching arrangement for a current source is different from that for a voltage source. In a voltage source, switch is placed in series with the source and is "closed" to bring the voltage source into the circuit.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr8cXHjxZ00OMukOfNUkbYOFI5TNSF5xD9tfIiDgSohzf2abPfXw.png

In case of current source, the switch is put "across" the current source and not in series. Also, when the switch is "closed", current source is not supplying current to the external circuit (it is shorted). To bring it into the circuit, you must "open" the switch.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnm8vEmNx1i0yuNl4MnlenwF-yxu153V_sJoSLE9tQ4a51rcBN.png

RaduAndrei said:
If not, how do we reconcile the current source with kvl?
If you place a current source in series with an inductor, the inductor voltage will be infinite. When you place a capacitor across an ideal voltage source, the capacitor current is infinite. There has to be some resistance involved in both the cases(parallel with the inductor and in series with the capacitor) to write KVL and for the currents and voltages to be theoretically finite (practically, they are always finite because there is always some resistance involved:wink:).
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for answer but I was not referring to replacing the voltage source in THAT circuit with a current source.

Take a separate current source. What is integral of E*dl over it? Does it have an electric field inside like the voltage source?

RaduAndrei said:
Take a separate current source. What is integral of E*dl over it? Does it have an electric field inside like the voltage source?
You mean a simple current source in series with a resistor(no L and C)?

cnh1995 said:
You mean a simple current source in series with a resistor(no L and C)?
In that case, there is definitely an electric field inside the current source and hence, there is some voltage across the current source. To maintain a constant current, resistance of the current source changes with the load, thus changing the voltage across it. V and R both change such that the current I=V/R remains constant.
e.g.Collector current of a bjt opreated in active region.

RaduAndrei said:

Yes but it's not fixed. Just as the current through a voltage source isn't fixed.. Compare...

1) A Voltage source...

The voltage is constant.
The current depends on the external circuit.

Lets say you have a voltage source connected to a resistor. The voltage depends on the voltage source, let's call it V. The current will depend on the resistor according to I = V/R

2) A current source...

The current is constant.
The voltage depends on the external circuit.

Lets say you have a current source connected to a resistor. The current depend on the current source, let's call it I. The voltage will depend on the resistor according to V=IR

Ok. I understand. Thanks for answers.

1. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral is a mathematical representation of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. The integral form of this law is used to calculate the voltage drop across a specific component or branch in a circuit.

2. How is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral used in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral is used to calculate the voltage drop across a specific component or branch in a circuit. This is especially useful in complex circuits where traditional methods of analysis, such as Ohm's Law, may not be applicable.

3. What is the difference between Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral is a mathematical representation of this law, used to calculate the voltage drop across a specific component or branch in a circuit. In essence, they are both describing the same concept, but Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral provides a more precise and accurate calculation.

4. What are the limitations of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state condition, meaning that all voltages and currents are constant. It also assumes that the circuit is linear, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current is constant. Additionally, the integrals may become more complex in more complex circuits, making it difficult to solve for the voltage drop.

5. How can I use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral in my research or experiments?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law Integral can be used in a variety of research and experimental settings, such as designing and analyzing electronic circuits, studying the behavior of electrical components, and predicting the behavior of complex systems. It is a powerful tool for understanding and quantifying electrical circuits and can help in making accurate predictions and calculations in your experiments.