Solving Kirchoff's Rules - Circuit Analysis Practice

• Thread starter jessedevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit in which the current in each resistor and the potential difference across the 200-ohm resistor needs to be determined. The approach used involves setting up a system of equations and using Kirchoff's Rules and Ohm's Law. However, the correct answers are different from the ones obtained, possibly due to incorrect handling of the signs in the equations.
jessedevin

Homework Statement

In the circuit of Figure P28.28, determine the current in each resistor and the potential difference across the 200-ohm resistor.
FigP28.28.jpg

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's Rules
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I did it was like this:
FigP28.28d.jpg

I set up a system of equations-
I1 + I2 + I3 + I4 = 0
- 40 V = I2 (80Ω) - I1 (200Ω)
40 V - 360 V = I3 (20Ω) - I2 (80Ω)
- 360 V - 80 V = I4 (70Ω) - I3 (20Ω)

And I get
I1=1.83 (for 200Ω)
I2=4.07 (for 80Ω)
I3=.30 (for 20Ω)
I4=-6.2 (for 70Ω)
Then I do V=IR to get the potential difference, which I got was 366 volts.

But in the back of the book, it says the answers are:
1.00 A up in 200Ω
4.00 A up in 70 Ω
3.00 A up in 80 Ω
8.00 A down in 20 Ω
200 V

What did I do wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
40 V - 360 V = I3 (20Ω) - I2 (80Ω)
The signs on the 40V and the 360V should be the same because they are in series - the potentials add.

thanks

What are Kirchoff's Rules?

Kirchoff's Rules, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Laws, are two fundamental principles used in analyzing electrical circuits. These rules were developed by German physicist Gustav Kirchoff in the mid-19th century and are still widely used today.

What is Kirchoff's First Rule?

Kirchoff's First Rule, also known as the Current Law, states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. In other words, the total current flowing into a point must be equal to the total current flowing out of that point.

What is Kirchoff's Second Rule?

Kirchoff's Second Rule, also known as the Voltage Law, states that the sum of voltage drops (or rises) in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources in that loop. In simpler terms, the total voltage around a closed loop in a circuit must be zero.

How do I apply Kirchoff's Rules to solve problems?

To apply Kirchoff's Rules to a circuit problem, you first need to draw a circuit diagram and label the components. Then, identify the nodes and closed loops in the circuit. Next, write out Kirchoff's First and Second Rules for each node and closed loop. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown values in the circuit.

Why are Kirchoff's Rules important?

Kirchoff's Rules are important because they provide a systematic and mathematical approach to analyzing complex electrical circuits. They allow us to determine the relationships between currents and voltages in a circuit and to solve for unknown values. These rules are also essential in designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.