1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchoffs Voltage Law Understanding

1. Nov 21, 2015 #1
    << Mentor Note -- Thread moved as requested >>

I am trying to complete a mock paper for an upcoming assessment. The mock comes with the answers supplied in bold under the question yet im having trouble understanding how the answers are obtained. I know that the law states that the sum of all emfs equals all the sums of the voltage drops and i have looked at several online articles but they seem to be very complex for what I need to understand. Im hoping someone can explain using the example I have. Im not sure how the arrows play a part in this either

EDIT: After much banging my head i have come up with the following.Can someone comment if this is correct and if there is a more excepted way of writing it out:

ΣV=0
    B-E = -2V
    E-D = +10V
    D-C = -5V

BE+ED+DC = +3
    ∴ C-B = 3V

And

ΣV=0

B-E = -2
    E-F = +8
    A-B = 0

BE+EF+AB = +6
    ∴ F-A = 6V

IMG_6241.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The arrows depict a change in potential, increasing towards the arrow head. So for example, the arrow on the battery in the left bottom corner depicts an 8 V rise in potential across the battery going from node E to node F. Similarly, on the resistor connected from E to B there's a 2 V potential increase.

Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the sum of the potential changes around a closed path is zero.

4. Nov 21, 2015 #3
    Ive updated what i think is correct! If anyone can confirm

5. Nov 21, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks okay.

6. Nov 22, 2015 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

gneill has already mentioned this but it's far better to think...

and start by writing equations that sum to zero. For example you wrote..

BE+ED+DC = +3

I find I make fewer mistakes with the signs if I specify where I'm starting and write my equation to sum to zero like this..

Going anticlockwise from B..
    BE + ED + DC + CB = 0

and then rearrange it to solve for the unknown CB.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted