Calculating voltage between two points....

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchoff's Voltage Law to find the voltage between two points due to a point charge, as well as the incorrect solutions for V(e<-d) and V(e<-a) and the correct expression for Vc<-e. The use of a detour via point c is deemed unnecessary, and it is suggested that the incorrect expression for Vc<-a may be due to the same reason.
15ongm

Homework Statement

30bmp7q.png

14ig6c0.png

1zcloq1.png

Homework Equations

The voltage between any two points due to the field from a point charge q is:
2rcvhok.png

Kirchoff's voltage laws, which states that the total voltage around a closed loop must be zero, i.e.:
KVL.gif

dzfm6s.png

The Attempt at a Solution

To find V(e<-d) I used Kirchoff's Voltage Law:
oaoeg7.png

To find V(e<-a) I used the fact that you can break voltages into parts:
21dhfh5.jpg

But I know my answers are wrong b/c this is what the solutions say:
657ebn.png

My question is, what is wrong with the way I'm calculating V(e<-d) and V(e<-a)?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the expression for Vc<-e?
The detour via c is unnecessary.

The expression for Vc<-a is wrong as well, and I guess it is wrong for the same reason.

1. How do you calculate voltage between two points?

To calculate voltage between two points, you would use Ohm's Law which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). The formula is V = IR. You would need to know the current flowing through the circuit and the resistance between the two points in order to calculate the voltage.

2. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V). This is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta who invented the first battery in 1800.

3. Can voltage be negative?

Yes, voltage can be negative. In a circuit, negative voltage represents the flow of electrons in the opposite direction. This is commonly seen in batteries and power supplies where the positive and negative terminals have different voltage levels.

4. How do you measure voltage between two points?

To measure voltage between two points, you would use a voltmeter. This is a device that measures the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. The voltmeter should be connected in parallel with the two points you want to measure.

5. What affects the voltage between two points?

There are several factors that can affect the voltage between two points. These include the current flowing through the circuit, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the voltage between two points.