Klien-Gordon equation to solve 4-vector problem? (Particle)

In summary: The ##v## is a label for the components, yes, it is not a power. So ##x^{v}## is really ##x^{0}, x^{1}, x^{2}, x^{3}## and ##x_{v}## is really ##x_{0}, x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}##. The ##x^{v}## are the "cov
rwooduk

Homework Statement

kU1D3nQ.jpg

Homework Equations

KG Equation

##\left ( \delta ^{2} + \frac{m^{2}c^{2}}{\hbar^{2}}\right )\Psi = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this problem I'm not sure whether to use the KG equation OR apply the operator given in the question (I don't know how to do this)

I can use the KG equation on PSI when given say:

##\Psi = R exp(-iwt+ik_{i}x_{i})##

But if I use the KG equation for this problem, so treat Aμ as PSI in the above equation, I will need to write it in non-covarient form. To do this I can simply take the inner product of qv and xv but I don't know what they are equal to, to be able to do this.

I'm a bit lost!

Please could someone suggest a starting point or at least give me an idea of what qv and xv are actually equal to so I can attempt to apply the operator (any hints on how to do this would be appreciated) or the KG equation.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

This is a past exam question that I'm attempting to apply my lecture notes to, it's not any assessed piece of work.

Physics news on Phys.org
The components ##q_{\nu}## are just constants. Suppose you apply ##\hat{p}_1## to ##A^\mu##. What do you get?

Likes rwooduk
TSny said:
The components ##q_{\nu}## are just constants. Suppose you apply ##\hat{p}_1## to ##A^\mu##. What do you get?

thats the problem I don't know what these things are, I know

##\delta _{\mu}= (\frac{1}{c}\frac{\delta}{\delta t},\frac{\delta}{\delta x},\frac{\delta}{\delta y},\frac{\delta}{\delta z})##

and

##\rho_{\mu}= (\frac{E}{c},-\rho_{x},-\rho_{y},-\rho_{z})##

and

##A^{\mu}= (\frac{\Phi }{c},A_{x},A_{y},A_{z})##

but what would δk even be?

i'm struggling with what each of the things in the question are actually equal to.

thanks for the help

Last edited:
You want to show that ##A^{\mu}## is an eigenfunction of each of the operators ##\hat{p}_\kappa##. So, take the case where ##\kappa = 1##. Then ##\hat{p}_1 =i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}##. Let this act on ##A^{\mu}##. It will help if you explicitly write out ##q_{\nu}x^{\nu}## in the exponential factor of ##A^{\mu}##.

Last edited:
Likes rwooduk
TSny said:
You want to show that ##A^{\mu}## is an eigenfunction of each of the operators ##\hat{p}_\kappa##. So, take the case where ##\kappa = 1##. Then ##\hat{p}_1 = i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}##. Let this act on ##A^{\mu}##. It will help if you explicitly write out ##q_{\nu}x^{\nu}## in the exponential factor of ##A^{\mu}##.

thanks again for the reply. but that's where my problem lies, I don't know what ##q_{\nu}x^{\nu}## explicitly are. what do ##q_{\nu}## and ##x^{\nu}## equal individually? sorry I'm very new to the notation and we have yet to be given any problems in this notation.

The notation ##q_{\nu}x^{\nu}## means ##\sum_{\nu = 0}^3q_{\nu}x^{\nu} = q_0x^0 +q_1x^1+q_2x^2+q_3x^3##. The summation is implied in the repeated indices of the index ##\nu## in ##q_{\nu}x^{\nu}##. This is the "Einstein summation convention".

The various ##q##'s are constants whose meaning you will discover in this exercise. ##R## and ##\epsilon^{\mu}## are also constants.

Likes rwooduk
TSny said:
The notation ##q_{\nu}x^{\nu}## means ##\sum_{\nu = 0}^3q_{\nu}x^{\nu} = q_0x^0 +q_1x^1+q_2x^2+q_3x^3##. The summation is implied in the repeated indices of the index ##\nu## in ##q_{\nu}x^{\nu}##. This is the "Einstein summation convention".

The various ##q##'s are constants whose meaning you will discover in this exercise. ##R## and ##\epsilon^{\mu}## are also constants.

thanks very much, I will try with this info and see how far I get.

ok, this is easier than i thought (i think), I'll post where I am incase it helps others.

##\delta ^{\mu} = \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}}##

and

##\rho ^{v}x_{v} = \rho^{0}x_{0}+\rho^{1}x_{1}+ \rho^{2}x_{2} + ...##

you can see from this that x is linear, therefore for any term of xv the derivative with respect to x will be 1.

therefore

##\delta ^{\mu} \rho ^{v}x_{v} = \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} \rho ^{v}x_{v} = \rho^{v} \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} x_{v}=\rho^{v}##

edit

hmm so going back to the problem, it would be:

##p_{k}A^{\mu} = i \hbar(R\epsilon ^{\mu})\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{k}}(e^{-iq_{v}x^{v}}) ##

in this case would

##\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{k}} x^{v} = 1##?

as the v is an indices and doesn't mean x to the power right?

any further advice would be appreciated

Last edited:
rwooduk said:
therefore

## \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} \rho ^{v}x_{v} = \rho^{v} \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} x_{v}=\rho^{v}##

This is not quite right. Note that the index ##\nu## is a summation index, so the result cannot be ##\rho^{v}##. It would be best to raise and lower the ##\nu## index to write it as ## \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} \rho _{v}x^{v}##. Try to show that ##\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} x^{v} = \delta_{\mu \nu}## where ##\delta_{\mu \nu}## is the Kronecker delta. Or, if you have trouble with this, write out the sum over ##\nu## explicitly:

## \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} \rho _{v}x^{v} = \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} ( \rho _{0}x^{0}+ \rho _{1}x^{1} + \rho _{2}x^{2} + \rho _{3}x^{3})##
hmm so going back to the problem, it would be:

##p_{k}A^{\mu} = i \hbar(R\epsilon ^{\mu})\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{k}}(e^{-iq_{v}x^{v}}) ##

It might help to write out the argument of the exponential: ##p_{k}A^{\mu} = i \hbar(R\epsilon ^{\mu})\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{k}}(e^{-i( q_0x^0 + q_1x^1 + q_2x^2 + q_3x^3 }) ##

TSny said:
This is not quite right. Note that the index ##\nu## is a summation index, so the result cannot be ##\rho^{v}##. It would be best to raise and lower the ##\nu## index to write it as ## \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} \rho _{v}x^{v}##. Try to show that ##\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} x^{v} = \delta_{\mu \nu}## where ##\delta_{\mu \nu}## is the Kronecker delta. Or, if you have trouble with this, write out the sum over ##\nu## explicitly:

## \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} \rho _{v}x^{v} = \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} ( \rho _{0}x^{0}+ \rho _{1}x^{1} + \rho _{2}x^{2} + \rho _{3}x^{3})##

It might help to write out the argument of the exponential: ##p_{k}A^{\mu} = i \hbar(R\epsilon ^{\mu})\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{k}}(e^{-i( q_0x^0 + q_1x^1 + q_2x^2 + q_3x^3 }) ##

damn, though I had it. ok I'll ask a last question and go from there as you have already helped plenty.

##\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{\mu}} x^{v} = \delta_{\mu \nu}##

this would mean that when mu=v the term would be 1 and zero for non equal componants. so

##\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{1}}x^{2} = 0##

im now getting confused with indices and powers, could you confirm that x2 doesn't mean x squared, it's just a label for the 2nd component of xv?

so you could write it ##\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{1}}x^{1} = \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{1}}(x^{1})= \frac{\delta }{\delta A}(A)=1##

or likewise ##\frac{\delta }{\delta x^{2}}x^{2} = \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{2}}(x^{2})= \frac{\delta }{\delta B}(B)=1##

OK. So, for example, ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}(q_0x^0+q_1x^1+q_2x^2+q_3x^3) = q_k## for k = 0, 1, 2, or 3.

Likes rwooduk
TSny said:
OK. So, for example, ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}(q_0x^0+q_1x^1+q_2x^2+q_3x^3) = q_k## for k = 0, 1, 2, or 3.

Thanks for all your help. When I finally get the question finished I'll be sure to post here.

sorry please delete

Last edited:
Ok think I'm there, I'll write it in detail (including the small things I've picked up) edit I've written Au wrong! but I believe the method is correct for the Au I've written, the original question would require a switch of indices

##A^{\mu} = R\epsilon^{\mu} e^{-k^{v}x_{v}}##

##p_{k}=i\hbar\delta _{k}=i\hbar \frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}}##

note i originally wrote this ##p_{k}=i\hbar\delta _{k}=i\hbar \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{k}}## which would have been ##p^{k}## not ##p_{k}##

therefore since the k indices of the differential matches that of the indices of the x componant in the exponential there is no need to switch indices.

##p_{k}A^{\mu} =i\hbar R\epsilon^{\mu}\frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}} e^{-k^{v}x_{v}}##

##=i\hbar R\epsilon^{\mu} e^{-k^{v}x_{v}}\frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}} (-k^{v}x_{v})##

##=i\hbar R\epsilon^{\mu} e^{-k^{v}x_{v}} (-ik^{k})\frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}} (-k^{v}x_{v})##

note that when the differential acts on the term that it changes it's indices to match the indices letter of the differential.

##=i\hbar (-ik^{k}) A^{\mu}=\hbar k^{k} A^{\mu}##

Last edited:
rwooduk said:
Ok think I'm there, I'll write it in detail (including the small things I've picked up) edit I've written Au wrong! but I believe the method is correct for the Au I've written, the original question would require a switch of indices

##A^{\mu} = R\epsilon^{\mu} e^{-k^{v}x_{v}}##

##p_{k}=i\hbar\delta _{k}=i\hbar \frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}}##

note i originally wrote this ##p_{k}=i\hbar\delta _{k}=i\hbar \frac{\delta }{\delta x^{k}}## which would have been ##p^{k}## not ##p_{k}##

therefore since the k indices of the differential matches that of the indices of the x componant in the exponential there is no need to switch indices.

Your original way of writing ##\hat{p}_k## was correct. That is ##\hat{p}_k = i\hbar\partial_k = i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}##.

Note that the ##x^k## is in the denominator. So, the superscript ##k## on ##x^k## actually acts like a subscript for the overall expression. That is why the ##k## is a subscript on ##\hat{p}## while it is a superscript on ##x##.

##p_{k}A^{\mu} =i\hbar R\epsilon^{\mu}\frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}} e^{-k^{v}x_{v}}##

##=i\hbar R\epsilon^{\mu} e^{-k^{v}x_{v}}\frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}} (-k^{v}x_{v})##

##=i\hbar R\epsilon^{\mu} e^{-k^{v}x_{v}} (-ik^{k})\frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}} (-k^{v}x_{v})##

I don't understand the sudden appearance of ##(-ik^{k})## in the last line.

Likes rwooduk
TSny said:
Your original way of writing ##\hat{p}_k## was correct. That is ##\hat{p}_k = i\hbar\partial_k = i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}##.

Note that the ##x^k## is in the denominator. So, the superscript ##k## on ##x^k## actually acts like a subscript for the overall expression. That is why the ##k## is a subscript on ##\hat{p}## while it is a superscript on ##x##.

hmm I didnt know that, thanks. So what would ##\hat{p}^{k}## be? ##\hat{p}^{k} = i\hbar\partial^{k} = i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}## which would then act on the upper indices?

TSny said:
I don't understand the sudden appearance of ##(-ik^{k})## in the last line.

this is what was given in class:

IrsJu9a.jpg

it doesn't show the steps but you can see that after acting on the exponential the differential brings down a ##k^{\rho}## not a ##k^{v}##. So I've applied the same idea to the ##k^{v}## to give ##k^{k}##

rwooduk said:
hmm I didnt know that, thanks. So what would ##\hat{p}^{k}## be? ##\hat{p}^{k} = i\hbar\partial^{k} = i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}##
Yes.

...which would then act on the upper indices?

##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}## would act on any function of ##x_k## (with lower index on ##x##).

this is what was given in class:...
That looks good.

it doesn't show the steps but you can see that after acting on the exponential the differential brings down a ##k^{\rho}## not a ##k^{v}##. So I've applied the same idea to the ##k^{v}## to give ##k^{k}##

You had

You left out the ##i## in the arguments of the exponentials. You are correct that ##\frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}} (-ik^{v}x_{v}) = -ik^k##

In your last line you should not still have the factor ##\frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}} (-k^{v}x_{v})##

Likes rwooduk
TSny said:
In your last line you should not still have the factor ##\frac{\delta }{\delta x_{k}} (-k^{v}x_{v})##

oops, indeed.

I am very happy to leave it there, thanks for teaching me 4-vectors!

There is just one final thing, this statement:

TSny said:
##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}## would act on any function of ##x_k## (with lower index on ##x##).

if ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}## acts on the lower indices and ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}## acts on the lower indices, then what's the difference between them? I don't understand that they both act on the lower indices of x.

##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}## and ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}## do not act on indices, they act on functions of ##x_k## or ##x^k##.

I'm not sure which convention of the metric you are using. But let's suppose you are using the metric where ##x_0 = x^0## and ##x_i = - x^i## for i = 1, 2, or 3. Then, for example, $$\frac{\partial x^1}{\partial x^1} = 1$$ but $$\frac{\partial x^1}{\partial x_1} =\frac{\partial (-x_1)}{\partial x_1} = - \frac{\partial x_1}{\partial x_1} =-1$$

As a little exercise, you can try evaluating $$\frac{\partial }{\partial x^3}(x_{\mu}x^\mu) $$ and $$\frac{\partial }{\partial x_3}(x_{\mu}x^\mu) $$

Likes rwooduk
TSny said:
##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_k}## and ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^k}## do not act on indices, they act on functions of ##x_k## or ##x^k##.

I'm not sure which convention of the metric you are using. But let's suppose you are using the metric where ##x_0 = x^0## and ##x_i = - x^i## for i = 1, 2, or 3. Then, for example, $$\frac{\partial x^1}{\partial x^1} = 1$$ but $$\frac{\partial x^1}{\partial x_1} =\frac{\partial (-x_1)}{\partial x_1} = - \frac{\partial x_1}{\partial x_1} =-1$$

As a little exercise, you can try evaluating $$\frac{\partial }{\partial x^3}(x_{\mu}x^\mu) $$ and $$\frac{\partial }{\partial x_3}(x_{\mu}x^\mu) $$
Will try that. Thanks once again for all your help!

What is the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes spin-0 particles, such as the Higgs boson. It is a second-order differential equation that relates the energy and momentum of a particle to its mass and spin.

How is the Klein-Gordon equation used to solve 4-vector problems?

The Klein-Gordon equation can be used to solve 4-vector problems by treating the energy and momentum components as the time and space components of a 4-vector. This allows for a more unified and elegant approach to solving problems in relativistic mechanics.

What are some key properties of the Klein-Gordon equation?

Some key properties of the Klein-Gordon equation include its invariance under Lorentz transformations, its ability to describe both particles and antiparticles, and its connection to the Schrödinger equation in non-relativistic limits.

What are some common applications of the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation has many applications in theoretical physics, including in quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology. It has also been used in the study of black holes and the early universe.

What are some challenges in solving problems using the Klein-Gordon equation?

One of the main challenges in solving problems using the Klein-Gordon equation is dealing with the nontrivial solutions that arise. This can lead to difficulties in interpreting the physical meaning of the solutions and requires careful consideration of boundary conditions. Additionally, the equations can become quite complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.