How can the Komar mass formula be simplified for a general static metric?

• Thread starter pervect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the Komar mass formula can be simplified to a component form, but it requires integrating over a surface. This can be done by using one-forms, which is what is shown in the summary.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I've been trying to express the Komar mass formula in component notation for a general static metric.

I'm finding that the expression for

[tex]
\nabla_c \xi_d
[/tex]

is reasonably simple, where [itex]\xi^{\mu}[/itex] is a timelike Killing vector, but the formula calls for

[tex]
\epsilon_{abcd} \nabla^c \xi^d
[/tex]

and this is very messy.

(We have to integrate the above two-form over some surface to get the mass and multiply by an appropriate constant).

Is it kosher to re-write the formula for the Komar mass as

[tex]
-\frac{1}{8 \pi} \int_S \epsilon^{abcd} \nabla_c \xi_d
[/tex]

and to do so, would I be expressing the surface to be integrated by one-forms rather than vectors?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I only know a little about integration with differential forms, so my comments may be well wide of the mark and/or not very useful.

Are you trying to do the integral, or are just trying to get a component expression under the integral sign?

I have a vague idea what

[tex]
-\frac{1}{8 \pi} \int_S \epsilon_{abcd} \nabla^c \xi^d
[/tex]

means, but I don't know what

[tex]
[/tex]

means.

Could you leave things in the form

[tex]
-\frac{1}{8 \pi} \int_S \epsilon_{abcd} g^{ec} g^{fd} \nabla_{e} \xi_{f}?
[/tex]

Regards,
George

Last edited:
George Jones said:
I only know a little about integration with differential forms, so my comments may be well wide of the mark and/or not very useful.

Are you trying to do the integral, or are just trying to get a component expression under the integral sign?

I have a vague idea what

[tex]
-\frac{1}{8 \pi} \int_S \epsilon_{abcd} \nabla^c \xi^d
[/tex]

means, but I don't know what

[tex]
[/tex]

means.

Could you leave things in the form

[tex]
-\frac{1}{8 \pi} \int_S \epsilon_{abcd} g^{ec} g^{fd} \nabla_{e} \xi_{f}?
[/tex]

Regards,
George
What I'm trying to do is to explain the Komar intergal conceptually, and relate it to Gauss's law.

The ideal explanation would be detailed enough to allow someone to compute the correct answer to the intergal (at least in a simple enough case), without knowing any more than advanced calculus (i.e. they wouldn't need to know about covariant derivatives or Killing vectors).

We can get rid of Killing vectors by insisting on a static space-time, i.e. we have metric coefficients that are not functions of time.

To actually carry out the intergal, for example in the Schwarzschild metric, I work by rote. We find that [itex]\nabla^a \xi^b[/itex] is equal to

[itex]m/r^2 dr \wedge dt[/itex]

Multiplying it by the Levi-Civita tensor essentally takes the dual, so we now have

[itex]m/r^2 \sqrt{g} d\theta \wedge d\phi[/itex]

Substituting sqrt(g) = r^2 |sin(theta)| gives us the intergal

[tex]
\int_0^{2 \pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} (m/r^2) r^2 |sin(\theta)| d\theta d\phi
[/tex]

which gives the right answer for the mass, modulo the sign issue.

Last edited:

What is Komar mass simplification?

Komar mass simplification is a method used in astrophysics to simplify the equations for the gravitational and electromagnetic fields surrounding a rotating, electrically charged black hole.

Why is Komar mass simplification important?

Komar mass simplification is important because it allows for a better understanding of the properties of black holes and their surrounding fields, which can aid in the study of the universe and its evolution.

How does Komar mass simplification work?

Komar mass simplification uses mathematical techniques to reduce the complexity of the equations describing the fields around a black hole by taking advantage of symmetries and conservation laws.

What are the limitations of Komar mass simplification?

One limitation of Komar mass simplification is that it only applies to stationary, axisymmetric black holes. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics and is limited to classical physics.

What are some real-world applications of Komar mass simplification?

Komar mass simplification has been used to study the properties of black holes in binary systems, as well as in theoretical models of the early universe. It has also been used in the development of numerical simulations for gravitational wave detection.