Kronecker Delta: Exploring Einstein Summation

• Thread starter MadMax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta
In summary, the conversation discusses the Einstein summation convention and why the expression \mathbf{a}^2 \mathbf{b}^2 is not the same as 3 a_i a_j b_j b_i = 3(\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b})^2. It is explained that this is because \mathbf{a}^2 and \mathbf{b}^2 cannot be split up and that using the same dummy variable for both a_i and b_i can lead to confusion.
MadMax
Using the Einstein summation convention...

Why is

[tex]\mathbf{a}^2 \mathbf{b}^2[/tex]

not the same as

[tex]3 a_i a_j b_j b_i = 3(\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b})^2[/tex]

given that

[tex]\mathbf{a}^2 = a_i \cdot a_i = a_i a_j \delta_{ij}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{b}^2 = b_i \cdot b_i = b_i b_j \delta_{ij}[/tex]

and

[tex]\delta_{ij} \delta_{ji} = 3[/tex]

-> [tex]\mathbf{a}^2 \mathbf{b}^2 = a_i a_j \delta_{ij} b_i b_j \delta_{ij} = 3(\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b})^2[/tex]

??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm I think i just figured it out maybe...

Is it 'cos you can't split the a^2 and b^2 up?

MadMax said:
[tex]\mathbf{a}^2 \mathbf{b}^2 = a_i a_j \delta_{ij} b_i b_j \delta_{ij} = 3(\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b})^2[/tex]
You labelled two different dummy variables with the letter i. By doing so, you tricked yourself into thinking they were the same dummy variable.

P.S. your first clue that something is horribly wrong should have been when you had the same letter appear four times in that term as an index.

Last edited:
Ahh yeah, good point :P Forgot about that. Thanks Hurkyl.

1. What is the Kronecker Delta?

The Kronecker Delta, denoted as δij, is a mathematical symbol used in Einstein summation to represent the identity matrix. It takes on the value of 1 when the two indices i and j are equal, and 0 when they are not equal.

2. How is the Kronecker Delta used in Einstein summation?

In Einstein summation, the Kronecker Delta is used to simplify expressions involving summation of repeated indices. It allows for the concise representation of a matrix equation in terms of its components.

3. Can the Kronecker Delta be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Kronecker Delta can be extended to higher dimensions. In three dimensions, for example, it would be denoted as δijk and would take on the value of 1 when all three indices are equal, and 0 otherwise.

4. What is the relationship between the Kronecker Delta and the Dirac Delta function?

The Kronecker Delta is a discrete version of the Dirac Delta function, which is a continuous function. They both share the property of taking on the value of 1 when the argument is zero, and 0 when the argument is non-zero.

5. How is the Kronecker Delta used in physics?

The Kronecker Delta is commonly used in physics, particularly in the field of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is used in the representation of tensors and in the manipulation of equations involving tensors. It also has applications in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.