Motivating Yourself in the Final Stretch of Senior Year

• Thread starter Physics_UG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motivation
In summary, the speaker is experiencing senioritis and is struggling to keep up with their classes and senior design project. They are also dealing with the stress of grad school applications. They seek advice on how to stay motivated and manage their workload.
Physics_UG
Gold Member
So it is my senior year of university (double major in EE and physics) and I think I have a severe case of senioritis. I am kinda slipping in my shakespeare class and I didn't get my last quantum mechanics homework set done in time. I also kinda slipped up on my last qm test. I just didn't study hard enough. Also, I am fearing I won't be able to finish my senior design project in time. I have about 6 weeks to finish this thing and I have an impending sense of doom.

I am on spring break right now and I told myself that I would get my shakespeare midterm paper done by Tuesday so I would have wed, thurs, and friday to work on my senior project. Then I would have the weekend to work on my QM homework. Well, lo and behold, I didn't even start that shakespeare paper and I didn't do much work at all over break. Sure I have procrastinated before, but I don't think it has ever been this bad.

I also have this grad school stuff on my mind. I have received an offer with full funding and another acceptance where full funding is likely. I am still waiting on two schools. Maybe having this on my mind if distracting me from doing my work.

It could also be that I am intimidated by this shakespeare paper. I can't seem to get myself focused on this subject because I just don't have the level of interest necessary.

I guess my question is, how do I get myself motivated while in this slump? I am really digging myself into a hole here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_UG said:
It could also be that I am intimidated by this shakespeare paper. I can't seem to get myself focused on this subject because I just don't have the level of interest necessary.

I guess my question is, how do I get myself motivated while in this slump? I am really digging myself into a hole here.

I recently went through this with a paper I had to write. To get through this, I started by setting little goals for it like, "by tonight, I will have an outline", "by tomorrow night, I will have parts one and two of my outline fleshed out". If you can just set little goals it helps, because then you don't end up in the situation of "oh, no, the entire freakin' paper is due tomorrow and I have done nothing!" There's really something to that old saying of "once begun, it's half done!"

Seriously, do your outline and get some stakes in the ground. It will help you roll into the rest of the work. Besides, a strong paper is one that builds on a coherent structure, so your most important job is to get the framework in place first.

Last edited:
Senior means you're in your last year, right? If so, it seems a bit strange that, in the final year of an electrical engineering and physics degree you're writing Shakespeare essays!

Still, the feelings you're having are quite normal. I think everyone gets like this at least once in their undergrad career. Follow MIH's advice: it's important to set goals that you are actually capable of keeping. I wouldn't worry about the grad school applications: if you've been accepted to at least two, then there is no need to worry about whether the others are going to accept you or not; at least you should not worry so much that it affects your studies. This may also be a way to motivate yourself; realize that this is the final stretch, and that after this year your undergrad studies will be complete and then you can go onto grad school. Also, it's important to keep in mind that you've come a long way and are so close to obtaining your degree that it's not worth slipping now.

cristo said:
Senior means you're in your last year, right? If so, it seems a bit strange that, in the final year of an electrical engineering and physics degree you're writing Shakespeare essays!

Still, the feelings you're having are quite normal. I think everyone gets like this at least once in their undergrad career. Follow MIH's advice: it's important to set goals that you are actually capable of keeping. I wouldn't worry about the grad school applications: if you've been accepted to at least two, then there is no need to worry about whether the others are going to accept you or not; at least you should not worry so much that it affects your studies. This may also be a way to motivate yourself; realize that this is the final stretch, and that after this year your undergrad studies will be complete and then you can go onto grad school. Also, it's important to keep in mind that you've come a long way and are so close to obtaining your degree that it's not worth slipping now.

Thanks MIH and Cristo. You have given sound advice. I am taking the shakespeare class as my senior literature elective. I just need to get my act together.

1. Why am I feeling unmotivated lately?

There can be a variety of reasons for feeling unmotivated. It could be due to burnout, lack of clear goals or direction, stress, or even an underlying health issue. It's important to assess your current situation and identify potential contributing factors.

2. How can I overcome my lack of motivation?

One way to overcome lack of motivation is to break tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks. Setting specific, achievable goals and rewarding yourself for completing them can also help. Additionally, finding ways to reduce stress and taking breaks when needed can improve motivation.

3. Is lack of motivation a sign of depression?

While lack of motivation can be a symptom of depression, it is not always the case. Other factors such as stress, burnout, or lack of purpose can also contribute to feeling unmotivated. If you are concerned about your mental health, it is important to seek professional help.

4. Can lack of motivation affect my productivity?

Yes, lack of motivation can greatly impact productivity. When we lack motivation, it can be difficult to focus and complete tasks efficiently. This can lead to a decrease in productivity and may also cause feelings of guilt or frustration.

5. How can I stay motivated in the long-term?

Maintaining motivation in the long-term can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting meaningful goals, practicing self-care and stress management, and regularly reassessing your progress and adjusting your goals can all contribute to sustained motivation. It's also important to acknowledge and celebrate your accomplishments along the way.