Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian Derivation

1. Apr 21, 2014 #1

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Last semester I had intermediate mechanics, and we spent a good amount of the class studying the LaGrangian. One thing that I never got an explaination for was why ##L = T-V##, as opposed to ##T+V##.

The only reason I can think of is the "give and take" relationship that Kinetic and Potential energy have in an isolated system; but is this correct?

Total energy seems more intuitive to me than the difference (##T-V##). I was just hoping someone could shed some light on this for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it not sufficient to know that T+V gives us the wrong equation of motion (F=-ma instead of F=ma)?

\begin{align}
    &L=\frac{1}{2}m\dot x^2-V(x)\\
    &0=\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} -\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot x}\right) =-\frac{dV}{dx} -\frac{d}{dt}(m\dot x)=F-m\ddot x.
    \end{align}

4. Apr 21, 2014 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Not really, I was looking for a more in depth explaination.

I guess that works. I was really hoping to grab some warm milk and get ready for story time, because that just isn't something that I would think to try, especially since the Chain Rule relationship holds for any definition of L (or it should mathematically), including defining it as T + V. It just so happens that you get a wrong acceleration value from that.

5. Apr 21, 2014 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook