1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian Derivation

1. Apr 21, 2014 #1

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Last semester I had intermediate mechanics, and we spent a good amount of the class studying the LaGrangian. One thing that I never got an explaination for was why ##L = T-V##, as opposed to ##T+V##.

The only reason I can think of is the "give and take" relationship that Kinetic and Potential energy have in an isolated system; but is this correct?

Total energy seems more intuitive to me than the difference (##T-V##). I was just hoping someone could shed some light on this for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it not sufficient to know that T+V gives us the wrong equation of motion (F=-ma instead of F=ma)?

\begin{align}
    &L=\frac{1}{2}m\dot x^2-V(x)\\
    &0=\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} -\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot x}\right) =-\frac{dV}{dx} -\frac{d}{dt}(m\dot x)=F-m\ddot x.
    \end{align}

4. Apr 21, 2014 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Not really, I was looking for a more in depth explaination.

I guess that works. I was really hoping to grab some warm milk and get ready for story time, because that just isn't something that I would think to try, especially since the Chain Rule relationship holds for any definition of L (or it should mathematically), including defining it as T + V. It just so happens that you get a wrong acceleration value from that.

5. Apr 21, 2014 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook