Lagrangian for a supersymmetric point particle

In summary, the conversation is about finding the lagrangian for a specific problem in superstring theory. The proposed lagrangian is given and the discussion revolves around verifying its correctness and finding a reference that discusses it. The answer is eventually found in a textbook as problem 4.1.
jdstokes
Does anyone know where I can find the lagrangian for this?

From memory I believe it looks something like

[itex]S = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{d\tau}{e}[\dot{X}^2 +i \dot{\psi}{\psi}-2ie\nu \dot{X} \psi][/itex]

where e is the graviton and nu is the gravitino. Does anyone know of a reference that supports this?

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct to me up to constants in front of each term. If you solve the eom you could verify that the constants are correct or not.

Hi Haelfix,

Thanks for your response. I do not have the equations of motion handy so I was hoping someone might know of a reference which discusses this.

I believe this Lagrangian can be used to motivate the worldsheet Lagrangian in superstring theory.

For future reference, the answer can be found in problem 4.1 of Becker, Becker and Shwarz.

1. What is a Lagrangian for a supersymmetric point particle?

A Lagrangian for a supersymmetric point particle is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a particle with both bosonic and fermionic degrees of freedom. It is a key concept in supersymmetry, which is a theoretical framework that extends the standard model of particle physics.

2. How is a Lagrangian for a supersymmetric point particle different from a regular Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian for a supersymmetric point particle is different from a regular Lagrangian in that it includes terms that account for the supersymmetric nature of the particle. These terms involve the supersymmetry generators, which transform bosonic states into fermionic states and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of a supersymmetric Lagrangian in particle physics?

A supersymmetric Lagrangian is significant in particle physics because it allows for the unification of particles with different spin properties. This can lead to a more elegant and simplified description of particle interactions and can potentially solve some outstanding problems in the field, such as the hierarchy problem.

4. How is a Lagrangian for a supersymmetric point particle derived?

A Lagrangian for a supersymmetric point particle is typically derived using the principles of supersymmetry and the concept of a superfield, which combines both bosonic and fermionic fields. The Lagrangian is then constructed to be invariant under supersymmetry transformations.

5. Are there any practical applications of a supersymmetric Lagrangian?

While supersymmetry has not yet been experimentally confirmed, a supersymmetric Lagrangian has been used in theoretical models to help explain dark matter and the unification of fundamental forces. It also serves as a key tool in exploring possible extensions to the standard model of particle physics.