How Do You Derive the Lagrangian for a Circuit with Repeated Cells?

In summary, Ulf is not happy with this solution because it does not seem to derive energy from the Lagrangian.
T-7
Hello folks,

I could really do with a few hints with this. (As soon as possible!)

Homework Statement

For a repeated line of cells, two 'equations of motion' can be written:

[tex]C_{n}\dot{U_{n+1}} = I_{n}-I_{n+1}[/tex]
[tex]L_{n}\dot{I_{n}} = U_{n} - U_{n+1}[/tex]

where [tex]C_{n}[/tex] is the capacitance, [tex]U_{n+1}[/tex] the voltage after the nth cell, [tex]I_{n}-I_{n+1}[/tex] the charging current, [tex]L_{n}[/tex] the inductance.

Work out the Lagrangian that generated these equations.

You should find that

[tex]E = \sum_{n}\left( (1/2)\L_{n}\dot{Q_{n}}^{2} + (1/2)C_{n}U_{n+1}^{2} \right)[/tex]

and

[tex]H = (1/2)\sum_{n}\left( \frac{P_{n}^{2}}{L_n}} + \frac{(Q_{n+1}-Q_{n})^{2}}{C_{n}} \right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Note that
[tex]Q_{n} = -\int I_{n} dt => C_{n}U_{n+1} = Q_{n+1} - Q_{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have suggested a Lagrangian of

[tex]L = (1/2)L_{n}\dot{Q_{n}}^{2} + Q_{n}(U_{n+1}-U_{n}) + (1/2)C_{n}\dot{U_{n+1}^{2}} + U_{n+1}(I_{n}-I_{n+1})[/tex]

(which can be turned into a sum for all the repeated circuits)

but it doesn't seem convincing, despite the fact that you can recover the original 'equations of motion' using Euler-Lagrange equations (using Q and U).

I'm not sure how the energy is being derived from the Lag. in this case (in mechanics, it was always the case that L = T - U, hence E = T + U), and it seems clear that you aren't going to get either that expression for the energy or that Hamiltonian from my guess-work Lagrangian.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think Ulf would like this any more than Chris.

Anony-mouse said:
I don't think Ulf would like this any more than Chris.

What?

malawi_glenn said:
What?

I think Anony. is under the impression that, being part of a set Q, this isn't up for discussion. According to the tutor I asked, we *can* discuss these Qs with other Physicists, exchange ideas, argue, etc. What we're not allowed to do is just copy someone's answer (which PhysicsForums also prohibits).

What is the Lagrangian of a circuit?

The Lagrangian of a circuit is a mathematical function that describes the energy of the circuit as a function of the circuit's variables, such as current and voltage. It is derived from the principles of classical mechanics and is used to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits.

How is the Lagrangian of a circuit different from the traditional equations used in circuit analysis?

The traditional equations used in circuit analysis, such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law, are based on the conservation of charge and energy. The Lagrangian, on the other hand, is derived from the principle of least action, which takes into account the entire system's dynamics and is more general than the traditional equations.

What is the significance of the Lagrangian in circuit analysis?

The Lagrangian allows for a more comprehensive analysis of circuits by taking into account the circuit's dynamics and energy. It also allows for the incorporation of non-linear elements, which cannot be easily analyzed using traditional equations.

How is the Lagrangian used to analyze circuits?

The Lagrangian is used to derive the equations of motion for a circuit, which describe the behavior of the circuit's variables over time. These equations can then be solved to determine the circuit's response to different inputs and initial conditions.

Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian in circuit analysis?

While the Lagrangian provides a more comprehensive and general approach to circuit analysis, it can be complex and time-consuming to apply. It also assumes the circuit is in a steady-state, which may not always be the case in real-world circuits.