What is the R3 Point in the Earth-Sun Lagrangian System?

In summary, the Lagrangian point L3 is a stationary solution of the circular restricted three-body problem, where an object would be at a point outside of Earth's orbit but closer to the Sun, in a rotating reference frame with the Sun-Earth center of mass as the origin. This point is determined by balancing the gravitational attraction of the Sun and Earth with a centripetal acceleration.
zankaon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point"
"stationary solutions of the circular restricted three-body problem" So for Earth sun nearly circular orbit, an object would be stationary. Quite interesting site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, I'll have some...

It is an interesting subject, for the life of me i can not understand the R3 point, maybe some one will be kind and explain.

wolram said:
It is an interesting subject, for the life of me i can not understand the R3 point, maybe some one will be kind and explain.

Suppose that the only two masses in the universe are the Earth, the Sun, and a tiny little test mass over which we have control. The Earth and Sun are in circular orbits about the Sun-Earth center of mass. Like any of the other Lagrange points, it is most convenient to work in a rotating reference frame whose origin is the Sun-Earth center of mass and rotating such the Sun and Earth have a constant position.

I'll use subscripts "e" and "s" to denote the Earth and Sun. Put a tiny mass at some distance [itex]R_e-\epsilon_r[/itex] from the Sun but opposite the Earth. We want to set [itex]\epsilon_r[/itex] so that the point orbit will orbit the Sun-Earth center of mass with exactly the same rotation rate as the Earth and Sun orbit about the Sun-Earth center of mass.

Denoting the ratio of the Earth's mass to the Sun's mass as k, [itex]k=M_e/M_s[/itex], our test point is a distance [itex]R_e(1+k/(1+k)-\epsilon_r/Re)[/tex] from the center of mass. To make Newton's laws work in this rotating frame we need to add a fictitious centripetal acceleration [itex]a_{frame} = R_e(1+k/(1+k)-\epsilon_r/Re)\omega^2[/itex]. The frame rotation rate is determined by Newton's second law,
[itex]\omega^2 = G(M_s+M_e)/R_e^3 = (1+k)GM_s/R_e^3[/itex]. We want to place the our test mass so that the gravitational attraction to the Sun and to the Earth exactly counterbalances this centripetal acceleration. After a little math, [itex]\epsilon_r \approx 7/12kR_e[/itex]. That is, the point is a little closer to the Sun than is the Earth. However, the Earth orbits the Sun-Earth center of mass at a distance [itex]R_e(1-k/(1+k)) \approx Re(1-k)[/itex], so the L3 point is a little outside the Earth's orbit, but seemingly paradoxically a bit closer to the Sun than is the Earth.

Which is what the Wiki article says: "L3 in the Sun–Earth system exists on the opposite side of the Sun, a little outside the Earth's orbit but slightly closer to the Sun than the Earth is."

1. What are Lagrangian points?

Lagrangian points are five points in a two-body system where the gravitational pull of the two bodies, such as a planet and its moon, balances out. This creates a stable orbital position where objects can remain in a fixed position relative to the two bodies.

2. How are Lagrangian points named?

Lagrangian points are named after the mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange who first discovered them in the late 18th century.

3. What are some practical applications of Lagrangian points?

Lagrangian points have been used for space missions to conserve fuel and reduce travel time. They are also used for satellite communications, space telescopes, and space exploration missions.

4. How are Lagrangian points calculated?

Lagrangian points are calculated using complex mathematical equations that take into account the masses and distances of the two bodies in the system. These calculations can also be affected by other factors such as solar radiation and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies.

5. Are there more than 5 Lagrangian points?

There are actually an infinite number of Lagrangian points in a two-body system. However, only five of these points, labeled L1-L5, are considered stable and have been studied extensively by scientists and engineers.