Landau Free Energy & Ising Model at T=0

In summary, the Ising model has a total energy of ##E = −J \sum_{<ij>} S_iS_j ##, with ##S_i = \pm 1## and ##<ij>## representing nearest neighbors. For ##J < 0##, the ground state of the system at ##T = 0## is antiferromagnetic. The Landau free energy for this system is expected to have the form $$F = at\psi^2 + b\psi^4 + ...,$$ where ##t \equiv (T − T_c)/T_c## and ##a, b > 0## are constants. In the case of ##J < 0##, two minima are
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The total energy of the Ising model is ##E = −J \sum_{<ij>} S_iS_j ##, where ##S_i = \pm 1## and ##< ij >## implies sum over nearest neighbours. For ##J < 0## explain why the ground state of this system at ##T = 0## is antiferromagnetic.

Let ##m_{1,2}## be the magnetisations in the two sublattices of an antiferromagnetic Ising model. Define the order parameter ##\psi ≡ m_1−m_2##. Argue why the Landau free energy for this system should have the form, $$F = at\psi^2 + b\psi^4 + ...,$$ where ##t \equiv (T − T_c)/T_c ## and ##a, b > 0## are constants.

Homework Equations

[/B]
F some polynomial expansion in order parameter ##\psi##.

The Attempt at a Solution

So as far as I understand from the Landau theory, we construct a function F for the free energy based solely on the symmetries of the system, particularly that obeyed by the order parameter. ##m_i \rightarrow -m_i## can be viewed as a rotation of the system by ##\pi## so F should be invariant under ##m_i \rightarrow -m_i## which is to say ##\psi \rightarrow -\psi## is a symmetry. So we construct ##F = c + a(T)\psi^2 + b(T)\psi^4 + ...##, where c is a constant, can be set to 0. I am just a bit confused as to how we solve for a(T) and b(T). Imposing that at equilibrium, ##\partial F/\partial \psi = 0## then this means $$2\psi(a(T) + 2b(T) \psi^2) = 0$$ ie ##\psi = 0## or ##\psi^2 = -a(T)/2b(T)##. But how should I progress? The case ##\psi = 0## corresponds to the case when ##m_1 = m_2## so that this could be realized in the ground state. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I guess I can work with what is given and try to justify it. At the critical temperature (or temperature at which we reach criticality) the first term vanishes which implies the equilibrium situation is one in which we have ##\psi=0.## Similarly for the case ##T>T_c##. (We must choose ##\psi=0## otherwise we get an imaginary solution for ##\psi## which is unphysical.) For ##T<T_c## we get two minima, with ##\psi=0## a maximum. Is this correct understanding? It seems that this is the same analysis for the case ##J>0##.

1. What is Landau Free Energy and how is it related to the Ising Model at T=0?

Landau Free Energy is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the stability of a system in equilibrium. It is related to the Ising Model at T=0, which is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of magnetic materials at absolute zero temperature. The Landau Free Energy can be used to calculate the ground state energy of the Ising Model at T=0.

2. What is the significance of studying the Landau Free Energy and Ising Model at T=0?

Studying the Landau Free Energy and Ising Model at T=0 can help us understand the behavior of magnetic systems at very low temperatures. This is important because many materials exhibit interesting and unique properties at absolute zero temperature, and understanding these properties can have practical applications in fields such as materials science and condensed matter physics.

3. How is the Landau Free Energy calculated for the Ising Model at T=0?

The Landau Free Energy for the Ising Model at T=0 can be calculated using the partition function, which takes into account the interactions between neighboring particles in the system. The ground state energy can then be obtained by minimizing the Landau Free Energy with respect to the order parameter of the system.

4. What is the order parameter in the Ising Model at T=0 and how does it relate to the Landau Free Energy?

The order parameter in the Ising Model at T=0 is a quantity that describes the degree of alignment of magnetic moments in the system. It is related to the Landau Free Energy because the ground state energy can be obtained by minimizing the Landau Free Energy with respect to the order parameter.

5. Can the Landau Free Energy and Ising Model at T=0 be applied to systems other than magnetic materials?

Yes, the concepts of Landau Free Energy and the Ising Model at T=0 can be applied to systems other than magnetic materials. These concepts can be generalized to study the stability and behavior of various physical systems in equilibrium, such as ferroelectric materials, liquid crystals, and even biological systems.