Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Python Languages For AI

1. Jul 21, 2017 #1
    I found an article about AI programming languages (https://qubit-labs.com/ai-programming-languages-choose/) and I've got several questions:
    1. Are AIML and Lisp still used in programming?
    2. Several sources refer to C++ as the fastest programming language? In what way the speed of language is measured?
    3. Is Python really best for AI development?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2017 #2
    1) I have never seen any use of AIML or Lisp outside of the education sector. I'm sure there has been some - but it's rare. Also, if you look at job listings, it's been a while since I seen anyone asking for Lisp.
    2) The speed would be measured in the amount of processor time required to execute an algorithm. If C and C++ are the fastest (and they would certainly by among the fastest), it is because it has several things going for it. First, it is a very flexible and relatively low-level language. So the implementation of the algorithm can be done with very effective concern for execution time. Second, it is a very widely used language, there are many implementations on the compiler, and many people working on making the compiler better. Which leads to the third item, the optimizing features of C/C++ are implementation-dependent, but the most used implementations have really, really excellent optimization features. And when new computer processor features become available, it's the C/C++ compilers that are usually the first to take advantage of them.
    3) "AI development" includes a broad category of applications. Certainly in the academic arena, Python allows you to skip a lot of details that you would need your attention with a language like C or C++. It would depend on the curriculum and the course objectives.

4. Jul 21, 2017 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Alternatively, you can use a good development language like MATLAB to design AI algorithms (neural networks, fuzzy logic, computer vision, optimization, etc.) and auto-generate code in a fast language like C++. That gives you the combination of a good development environment and fast-running production code.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted