Laplace Transform Problem - Peacewise Functions

In summary: You are right the correct function is f(t)=1+H(t-[pi/2])+[sin(t)-2]*H(t-[pi/2])one had to subtract 2 from sin and not 1 or else you would be left with 2-1+sin{t} = 1+sin(t)thanks for catching that mistakeYou are right the correct function is f(t)=1+H(t-[pi/2])+[sin(t)-2]*H(t-[pi/2])one had to subtract 2 from sin and not 1 or else you would be left with 2-1+sin{t} = 1
bathtub2007
Okay so this problem has been giving me nightmares ever since I laid eyes on it.

The problem: y'' - y = f(t), y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 0

f(t) = 1, 0 (less than equal to) t (less than) pi/2
f(t) = sin(t), t (greater than equal to) pi/2

Any help would be appreciated putting me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

--Julie

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best way forward would be:

1-1.jpg

except f(t) isn't 1, read the post again. for piecewise functions use the unit step (heaviside) function.

You can rewrite f(t) in terms of the heaviside function as matticus said, then perform the transform.

[tex]f(t)=1+H(t-\frac{\pi}{2})+\left(sin(t)-1\right)H(t-\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]

Edit since latex isn't working...

f(t)=1+H(t-[pi/2])+[sin(t)-1]*H(t-[pi/2])

where H(t-[pi/2]) denotes the unit step function.

Hi I was thinking about the same approach as xfunctionx.

Please advise to see whether his approach is correct or not.

Thanks

maths.tuition welcome to PF.

If you are speaking of doing the same thing that xfunctionx did for bathtub's differential equation that would be wrong

does not simply equal 1 for all t, please note I already stated the proper form of the function(in terms of the unit step function) to get the the laplace transform for f(t)

"f(t)=1+H(t-[pi/2])+[sin(t)-1]*H(t-[pi/2])"

Last edited:
djeitnstine said:
maths.tuition welcome to PF.

If you are speaking of doing the same thing that xfunctionx did for bathtub's differential equation that would be wrong

does not simply equal 1 for all t, please note I already stated the proper form of the function(in terms of the unit step function) to get the the laplace transform for f(t)

"f(t)=1+H(t-[pi/2])+[sin(t)-1]*H(t-[pi/2])"

I think this last expression is wrong. Musn't this be:

[tex]L\left{H(t)-H\left(t-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)+sin(t)H\left(t-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right}= L\left{H(t)-H\left(t-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)+cos\left(t-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)H\left(t-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right}[/tex]

There seems to be something definitely wrong with the latex generation, it keeps posting things from older replies of other posts of me :grumpy:

coomast

You are right the correct function is

f(t)=1+H(t-[pi/2])+[sin(t)-2]*H(t-[pi/2])

one had to subtract 2 from sin and not 1 or else you would be left with 2-1+sin{t} = 1+sin(t)

thanks for catching that mistake

djeitnstine said:
You are right the correct function is

f(t)=1+H(t-[pi/2])+[sin(t)-2]*H(t-[pi/2])

one had to subtract 2 from sin and not 1 or else you would be left with 2-1+sin{t} = 1+sin(t)

thanks for catching that mistake

OK, next attempt for a good latex formula. I think it is still not OK, I got:

[tex]L\left[H(t)-H\left(t-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)+sin(t)H\left(t-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right]= L\left[H(t)-H\left(t-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)+cos\left(t-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)H\left(t-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right][/tex]

coomast

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. What is a Peacewise Function?

A Peacewise Function is a function that is defined by different equations over different intervals. It is commonly used to describe systems that behave differently under different conditions.

3. How do you apply the Laplace Transform to Peacewise Functions?

To apply the Laplace Transform to a Peacewise Function, you need to break the function into its individual pieces and apply the Laplace Transform to each piece separately. Then, you can combine the transformed pieces to get the final solution.

4. What are the benefits of using Laplace Transform on Peacewise Functions?

The Laplace Transform can help simplify complex systems and differential equations involving Peacewise Functions, making them easier to solve. It also allows for the use of algebraic techniques to find solutions, rather than relying on traditional calculus methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transform on Peacewise Functions?

One limitation of using Laplace Transform on Peacewise Functions is that it assumes the function is continuous and differentiable over its entire domain. This may not always be the case for real-world systems. Additionally, the transformed function may not have a physical interpretation, making it difficult to interpret the solution in practical terms.