Solving Laplace Transform: Finding \frac{1}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^2 }}

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Laplace transforms to solve a differential equation. The table provided in the class notes is missing the term needed for the equation, but the speaker is able to find it using a different table. The next line involves the use of Laplace transform rules for derivatives, which can be derived using integration by parts.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From the class notes:
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
y'' + 8y' + 16y = te^{ - 4t} ,\,\,\,\,\,y\left( 0 \right) = y'\left( 0 \right) = 0 \\
\\
L\left[ {y''} \right] + 8L\left[ {y'} \right] + 16L\left[ y \right] = \frac{1}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^2 }} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

How did he get [tex]\frac{1}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^2 }}[/tex] ?
From the table, [tex]t = \frac{1}{{s^2 }}[/tex] and [tex]e^{at} \to \frac{1}{{s - a}}[/tex]
How do these combine to give [tex]\frac{1}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^2 }}[/tex] ?

The next line is
[tex]s^2 y\left( s \right) - sy\left( 0 \right) - y'\left( 0 \right) + 8\left( {sy\left( s \right) - y\left( 0 \right) + 16y\left( s \right)} \right) = \frac{1}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^2 }}[/tex]

Where did everything on the left side of = come from? The table doesn’t have y’’ or y’.

After this, the problem looks like it turns into algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tony

The laplace transform of a product is not just the Laplace transform of the components, have a look at this table:
http://www.efunda.com/math/laplace_transform/forward.cfm?FuncName=Basic
shows:
[tex]L(e^{-\alpha t}) = \frac{1}{{\left( {s + 4} \right)^2 }}[/tex]
to get the relation you actually need to perform the integral

the next line comes about from the Laplace transform rules for derivatives, see this table
http://www.vibrationdata.com/Laplace.htm
these can be derived using integration by parts on successive derivatives if i remember rightly...

Thanks. The 6th entry in the 1st table you linked to has the right side of my equation. It was missing from the table I had from class notes. And thanks for the 2nd table. I think it explains it.

1. How do I solve a Laplace Transform?

To solve a Laplace Transform, you need to first determine the Laplace Transform of the given function and then apply any necessary rules or properties to simplify the expression. You can then use inverse Laplace Transform techniques to find the original function.

2. What is the Laplace Transform of 1/(s+4)^2?

The Laplace Transform of 1/(s+4)^2 is 1/e^(4t) * t.

3. What are the rules for solving Laplace Transforms?

Some common rules for solving Laplace Transforms include linearity, time-shifting, and differentiation. You can also use tables of Laplace Transform pairs to simplify the process.

4. How do I apply the time-shifting rule in solving Laplace Transforms?

To apply the time-shifting rule, you need to determine the Laplace Transform of the given function and then use the formula: L[f(t-a)u(t-a)] = e^(-as) * L[f(t)].

5. Can I use Laplace Transforms to solve differential equations?

Yes, Laplace Transforms can be used to solve differential equations by transforming the differential equation into an algebraic equation in the s-domain, solving for the transformed function, and then using inverse Laplace Transform to find the original solution.