Laplace Transform Homework: Solving f(t) Piecewise

No, that is not correct.In summary, the conversation is about finding the Laplace transform of a piecewise function f(t), and the attempt at a solution involved using a formula from a table. However, the final answer was incorrect and the correct method involves integrating the function using the definition of the Laplace transform.
Philip Wong

Homework Statement

f(t) is a piecewise function:
{0 0<= t< 1
{t*exp(2t) t = >1

Homework Equations

F(s)= L{f(t)}

The Attempt at a Solution

F(s)= L{t*exp(2t)}

for this problem I just took the Laplace Transformer directly from the table which is: n!/ (s-a)^(n+1)

and after plucking in the relevant number I got:
1/(s-2)^2

Firstly I want to ask, is this correct? And have I missed any steps when setting up this problem?

Secondly if this is correct and I don't want to use the table to get the formula directly, can someone please show me other methods to come to the same answer.

thanks,
Phil

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is incorrect. That is the Laplace transform of [itex]f(t)= te^{2t}[/itex] which is NOT the same as the function given here.

Do not know the definition of the Laplace transform? It is
[tex]F(f)= \int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t)dt[/tex]

Integrate that.
The Laplace transform of this function is
[tex]\int_1^\infty e^{-st}te^{2t}dt= \int_1^\infty te^{(2- s)t}dt[/tex]

1. What is the Laplace Transform used for?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations by transforming them from the time domain to the frequency domain. This allows for easier analysis and solution of complex systems.

2. How is a function defined piecewise?

A piecewise function is defined by different equations for different intervals of the independent variable. This means that the function may have different expressions for different ranges of inputs.

3. How do you solve a piecewise function using Laplace Transform?

To solve a piecewise function using Laplace Transform, you need to split the function into its individual pieces and solve each one separately. Then, you can combine the solutions to get the overall solution for the piecewise function.

4. Can the Laplace Transform be applied to any function?

No, the Laplace Transform can only be applied to functions that are defined for all real numbers and have a finite number of discontinuities. This means that functions with infinite discontinuities or infinite growth cannot be transformed using Laplace Transform.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transform to solve piecewise functions?

One limitation of using Laplace Transform to solve piecewise functions is that it may not work for certain functions that have infinite discontinuities. Additionally, the transformed function may become more difficult to interpret and may require additional steps to obtain the final solution.