1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transformation: system of DE

1. May 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##y_1^{'}+y_1=y_2##, ##y_2^{'}+5y_2=y_3##, ##y_3^{'}+y_3=f## and ##y_1(0)=y_2(0)=y_3(0)=0##. Find ##Y_1(s)## in terms of ##F(s)##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely lost here. I tried to rewrite the system so that I would somehow get rid of ##y_2## and ##y_3## but that didn't really work out well. I don't know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let ##Y_i(s)## be the Laplace transform of ##y_i(t),## for ##i = 1,2,3##. Develop and solve the equations for ##Y_1, Y_2, Y_3##. (That is one of the standard methods for dealing with constant-coefficient linear DE systems.)

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  4. May 16, 2014 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Looks to me like you have to follow down the line:
    if:
    ##y_{1}' +y_{1} = y_{2}##
    and ##y_{2}' + 5y_{2} = y_{3}##
    then via substitution:

##(y_{1}' + y_{1})' + 5(y_{1}' + y_{1}) = y_{1}'' + (y_{1}' + 5y_{1}') + y_{1} = y_{3}##
    follow this logic and I believe you will get your answer.

5. May 16, 2014 #4
    Doing so brings me to:

##y_1^{'''}+7y_1^{''}+11y_1^{'}+5y_1=f##

Now I am guessing that all that still has to be done is:
    ##Y_1^{'''}(s)+7Y_1^{''}(s)+11Y_1^{'}(s)+5Y_1(s)=F(s)##

And that's it?

6. May 16, 2014 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Well, that's what I was thinking, but I didn't really pay much attention to your notation at the beginning, is
    ##y_{1}## really ##y_{1}(t)## ?
    If that's the case then I guess they want (as previously mentioned) the Laplace transform of ##y_{1}## in terms of the Laplace transform of F. (judging by F(s)).
    If by F you mean f and Y you mean y, then yes I would say that that answer would suffice.

7. May 16, 2014 #6

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I'm only just learning about Laplace Transforms currently myself. Sorry if these posts weren't much help

8. May 16, 2014 #7
    Hmmm,

BiGyElLoWhAt, your idea works but not so fast. :D

The problem is that ##f^{(n)}(t)=s^nF(s)-\sum_{k=1}^{n}s^{k-1}f^{(n-k)}(0)## but the problem says nothing about the value of ##y^{'}##...

So like Ray said, I firstly have write each equation with laplace transformation and than apply your idea which brings me to:

##Y_1(s)[s^3+7s^2+11s+5]=F(s)##

Is this the final result?

9. May 16, 2014 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is almost done (and correct). You haven't finished solving for ##Y_1## in terms of ##F## until you divide both sides by that polynomial in ##s##. If your ultimate goal is to finish solving by inverting the ##Y_i##, you would want to leave the polynomial in ##s## in factored form. Also don't you need to find the other ##Y_i\text{'s}##?

Last edited: May 16, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted