Laplace transformation: system of DE

In summary, the equations ##y_1^{'}+y_1=y_2##, ##y_2^{'}+5y_2=y_3##, ##y_3^{'}+y_3=f## can be rewritten as ##y_1'''+7y_1''+11y_1'+5y_1=f##. By taking the Laplace transform of both sides and solving for ##Y_1(s)##, we get the equation ##Y_1(s)[s^3+7s^2+11s+5]=F(s)##. The final result is ##Y_1(s)=\frac{F(s)}{s^3+7s^2
skrat

Homework Statement

Let ##y_1^{'}+y_1=y_2##, ##y_2^{'}+5y_2=y_3##, ##y_3^{'}+y_3=f## and ##y_1(0)=y_2(0)=y_3(0)=0##. Find ##Y_1(s)## in terms of ##F(s)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost here. I tried to rewrite the system so that I would somehow get rid of ##y_2## and ##y_3## but that didn't really work out well. I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Let ##y_1^{'}+y_1=y_2##, ##y_2^{'}+5y_2=y_3##, ##y_3^{'}+y_3=f## and ##y_1(0)=y_2(0)=y_3(0)=0##. Find ##Y_1(s)## in terms of ##F(s)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost here. I tried to rewrite the system so that I would somehow get rid of ##y_2## and ##y_3## but that didn't really work out well. I don't know what to do.

Let ##Y_i(s)## be the Laplace transform of ##y_i(t),## for ##i = 1,2,3##. Develop and solve the equations for ##Y_1, Y_2, Y_3##. (That is one of the standard methods for dealing with constant-coefficient linear DE systems.)

Last edited:
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Looks to me like you have to follow down the line:
if:
##y_{1}' +y_{1} = y_{2}##
and ##y_{2}' + 5y_{2} = y_{3}##
then via substitution:

##(y_{1}' + y_{1})' + 5(y_{1}' + y_{1}) = y_{1}'' + (y_{1}' + 5y_{1}') + y_{1} = y_{3}##
follow this logic and I believe you will get your answer.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Looks to me like you have to follow down the line:
if:
##y_{1}' +y_{1} = y_{2}##
and ##y_{2}' + 5y_{2} = y_{3}##
then via substitution:

##(y_{1}' + y_{1})' + 5(y_{1}' + y_{1}) = y_{1}'' + (y_{1}' + 5y_{1}') + y_{1} = y_{3}##
follow this logic and I believe you will get your answer.

Doing so brings me to:

##y_1^{'''}+7y_1^{''}+11y_1^{'}+5y_1=f##

Now I am guessing that all that still has to be done is:
##Y_1^{'''}(s)+7Y_1^{''}(s)+11Y_1^{'}(s)+5Y_1(s)=F(s)##

And that's it?

Well, that's what I was thinking, but I didn't really pay much attention to your notation at the beginning, is
##y_{1}## really ##y_{1}(t)## ?
If that's the case then I guess they want (as previously mentioned) the Laplace transform of ##y_{1}## in terms of the Laplace transform of F. (judging by F(s)).
If by F you mean f and Y you mean y, then yes I would say that that answer would suffice.

I'm only just learning about Laplace Transforms currently myself. Sorry if these posts weren't much help

Hmmm,

BiGyElLoWhAt, your idea works but not so fast. :D

The problem is that ##f^{(n)}(t)=s^nF(s)-\sum_{k=1}^{n}s^{k-1}f^{(n-k)}(0)## but the problem says nothing about the value of ##y^{'}##...

So like Ray said, I firstly have write each equation with laplace transformation and than apply your idea which brings me to:

##Y_1(s)[s^3+7s^2+11s+5]=F(s)##

Is this the final result?

skrat said:
Hmmm,

BiGyElLoWhAt, your idea works but not so fast. :D

The problem is that ##f^{(n)}(t)=s^nF(s)-\sum_{k=1}^{n}s^{k-1}f^{(n-k)}(0)## but the problem says nothing about the value of ##y^{'}##...

So like Ray said, I firstly have write each equation with laplace transformation and than apply your idea which brings me to:

##Y_1(s)[s^3+7s^2+11s+5]=F(s)##

Is this the final result?

That is almost done (and correct). You haven't finished solving for ##Y_1## in terms of ##F## until you divide both sides by that polynomial in ##s##. If your ultimate goal is to finish solving by inverting the ##Y_i##, you would want to leave the polynomial in ##s## in factored form. Also don't you need to find the other ##Y_i\text{'s}##?

Last edited:

1. What is a Laplace transformation?

A Laplace transformation is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations (DE) by converting them into algebraic equations. It allows for the analysis of complex dynamic systems and is commonly used in engineering and physics.

2. What is a system of DE?

A system of DE is a set of two or more differential equations that describe the relationship between multiple variables in a dynamic system. These equations take into account the rate of change of each variable and can be solved simultaneously using Laplace transformation.

3. What is the process for solving a system of DE using Laplace transformation?

The first step is to take the Laplace transform of each individual equation in the system. This involves replacing the differential terms with their corresponding algebraic terms. Then, the transformed equations can be solved simultaneously to find the solution to the system of DE. Finally, the inverse Laplace transform is applied to obtain the solution in its original form.

4. What are the benefits of using Laplace transformation to solve a system of DE?

Laplace transformation allows for the solution of complex and non-linear DE, which may not have analytical solutions. It also simplifies the process of solving systems of DE, as it eliminates the need for integration and reduces the number of equations to be solved.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transformation for systems of DE?

One limitation is that the initial conditions for the system must be known or provided. Additionally, Laplace transformation may not be suitable for systems with discontinuous or piecewise-defined functions. It is also important to check the validity of the solution obtained using Laplace transformation, as it may not always represent the true behavior of the system.