Solve Laplace's Equation for Square in XY Plane w/BCs

In summary, we have a square in the XY plane with corners at (0,0), (a,0), (a,a), and (0,a). There is no charge nor matter inside the square. The sides perpendicular to the Y axis have potential zero. The side at x=a has constant potential V0. The side at x=0 has potential -V0. Using Laplace's equation in rectangular coordinates in 2 dimensions, we can find the potential function V(x,y) at all points inside the square. By separation of variables, we get the solution V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} C_{n} \sinh\left(\frac{n\pi x
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

Consider a square in the XY plane with corners at (0,0, (a,0), (a,a,) and (0,a). There is no charge nor matter inside the square. The sides perpendicular to the Y axis have potential zero. The side at x=a has constant potentail V0. The side at x=0 has potentail -V0. Find V(x,y) at all points inside the square.

Homework Equations

Laplace's equaton in rectangular coordinates in 2 dimensions

[tex] \frac{d^2 V}{dx^2} + \frac{d^2 V}{dy^2} = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Boundary conditions are
1. V=0, y=a
2. V=0, y=0
3. V=V0, x= a
4. V=-V0, x=0

By separation of variables
[tex] V(x,y) = = X(x) Y(y) = (Ae^{kx} + Be^{-kx}) (C\cos ky + D\sin ky) [/tex]

using conditon 3, C=0
using condition 4, [itex] k = n\pi / a [/itex]
Now there is a symmetry such that V(0,y) = -V(a,y)

so then A = - B, and
[tex] X(x) = e^{kx} - e^{-kx} = 2 \sinh kx[/tex]

SO then the potential is
[tex] V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} C_{n} \sinh\left(\frac{n\pi x}{a}\right) \sin\left(n\pi y}{a}\right) [/tex]

The Cn coefficients are simply [itex] 4V_{0}/n \pi [/itex] if n is odd otherwise if n is even Cn is zero

now V(0,y) = -V(a,y)
[tex] [tex] V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} C_{n} \sinh\left(n\pi \right) \sin\left(n\pi y}{a}\right) = V_{0}[/tex]
[tex] V(0,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} C_{n} \sinh(0) \sin\left(n\pi y}{a}\right) =-V_{0}[/tex]

but sinh (0) = 0 ... the argument for the sinh must be wrong

i know sinh is odd function so somehow the argumet of sinh when x= 0 must be equal to the negative of argument of sinh when x = a

do i simply have to guess this?? Or is there a more step by step approach??

i was guessing the argument should be something like this

[tex] n\pi (\frac{x}{a} + q) [/tex]
when x = a, the argument is positive
[tex] n\pi (1+q) = n\pi[/tex]
[tex] n\pi (q) = n \pi [/tex]

q should be -1 but then in the first case the argumetn becomes zero. So we put a 2 in front of that fraction

[tex] n\pi (\frac{2x}{a} -1) [/tex]
but the textbook says there should be an additional factor of 1/2.. that is

[tex] \frac{n\pi}{2} (\frac{2x}{a} -1) [/tex]
how did they get that??

Thanks for help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
so then A = - B, and
[tex] X(x) = e^{kx} - e^{-kx} = 2 \sinh kx[/tex]
Look at this again. That symetry argument applies for V(-a,y)=-V(a,y). Is that what you have here?

LeonhardEuler said:
Look at this again. That symetry argument applies for V(-a,y)=-V(a,y). Is that what you have here?

ahh no i have -V(0,y) = V(a,y)

so then the argment of the exponential has to change as well??
such that at 0 the argument turns to -a??

something along these lines??

stunner5000pt said:
ahh no i have -V(0,y) = V(a,y)

so then the argment of the exponential has to change as well??
such that at 0 the argument turns to -a??

something along these lines??

No, I would abandon the symetry argument altogether and deal with the boundary conditions individually.

LeonhardEuler said:
No, I would abandon the symetry argument altogether and deal with the boundary conditions individually.

ok abandoning the symmetry argument

then we get tow equation

[tex] A + B = -V_{0} [/tex]
[tex] Ae^{n\pi} + Be^{-n\pi} = V_{0} [/tex]

iget

[tex] A = V_{0} \frac{1 + e^{-n\pi}}{2\sinh n\pi} [/tex]
[tex] B= -V_{0} \frac{1+ e^{n\pi}}{2\sinh n\pi} [/tex]

[tex] X(x) = V_{0} \frac{1 + e^{-n\pi}}{2\sinh n\pi}-V_{0} \frac{1+ e^{n\pi}}{2\sinh n\pi} = \frac{V_{0}e^{\frac{n\pi x}{a}}}{2\sinh n\pi} (e^{-n\pi} - e^{n\pi}) [/tex]

but
[tex] e^{-n\pi} - e^{n\pi} = -2\sinh n\pi [/tex]
so
[tex] X(x) = -\frac{V_{0}}{2} e^{\frac{n\pi x}{a}} [/tex]

i get a feeling i did something wrong somehwere but i am unable to track the error...

1. V=0, y=a
2. V=0, y=0

The yBC could imply no dependence, i.e. the function of y=1, which means the solution is a function of x only. The BC also imply an even function about a/2.

3. V=V0, x= a
4. V=-V0, x=0

The xBC imply an odd function about a/2, e.g. A sin kx or A sinh kx (or Aekx - A e-kx. There are two unknowns A and k which can be solved using the BC.

Astronuc said:
1. V=0, y=a
2. V=0, y=0

The yBC could imply no dependence, i.e. the function of y=1, which means the solution is a function of x only. The BC also imply an even function about a/2.

3. V=V0, x= a
4. V=-V0, x=0

The xBC imply an odd function about a/2, e.g. A sin kx or A sinh kx (or Aekx - A e-kx. There are two unknowns A and k which can be solved using the BC.

i got it now... my solution wold have worked if the square was centered about the origin. But in this case we needed to 'shift' the solution suhc that it conforms with our symmetry

What is Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's Equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the steady-state distribution of a scalar quantity in a region of space. It is used in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, mathematics, and engineering.

What does it mean to solve Laplace's Equation?

To solve Laplace's Equation means to find the mathematical function or set of functions that satisfy the equation and the given boundary conditions. This allows us to accurately predict the distribution of the scalar quantity in the given region of space.

What is the XY plane?

The XY plane is a two-dimensional coordinate system in which the x-axis represents the horizontal direction and the y-axis represents the vertical direction. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to graph and analyze relationships between two variables.

What are boundary conditions in Laplace's Equation?

Boundary conditions are the constraints or requirements that must be satisfied by the solution to Laplace's Equation at the boundaries of the given region of space. They can include fixed values, rates of change, or other conditions that define the behavior of the solution at the boundaries.

How is Laplace's Equation applied to a square in the XY plane?

In this context, we are solving Laplace's Equation for a scalar quantity within a square-shaped region in the XY plane. The boundary conditions are typically given at the edges of the square, and the solution will provide the steady-state distribution of the scalar quantity within the square.