What Are the Best Laptops Under $500 for College and Gaming?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, my parents are looking for a laptop to help me with college, but they don't want to spend too much money. ASUS is a good option, but they may need to wait until they get to the school to see if they can get a good deal.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Unlike my last few threads, this one is lighthearted and happy.

My parents are buying me a laptop to go to college with! Trouble is, we don't know which to get. We'd rather not spend much over $500 dollars, but I'd like it to play a few certain video games (Civilization IV and V, to be exact). I'm guessing the biggest issue will be the video card...

Do any of you guys have any advice for me? We'll need to buy it in person, but I'm sure that's not much of a restriction.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm afraid that I can't offer you any advice. I'm strictly a Mac guy, and those are well out of your price range.

I'm a die-hard Dell fan as their customer service has been fantastic. Get a good warranty and they will even send someone to your house for any needed fix.

You pay more up front for an extended warranty, but it is worth its weight in gold if you have any problems. They even replaced my screen when I damaged it through carelessness.

My parents are buying me a laptop to go to college with! Trouble is, we don't know which to get. We'd rather not spend much over $500 dollars, but I'd like it to play a few certain video games (Civilization IV and V, to be exact). I'm guessing the biggest issue will be the video card...
Getting ready for the college? :smile:

I'd recommend an ASUS laptop. I have had significant and costly problems with Dell, and some problems with HP/Compaq.

I'd wait until you actually get to your school and see if they have any good deals and what they recommend.

Personally, I'd go with a Mac, though, as Danger noted, it's out of your price range.

First contact the Admissions office at your college, and ask if they have any guidelines. Depending on your field of study, there may be some recommendations regarding network compatibility, operating system, ability to run certain software packages, etc. I haven't owned a laptop for a while, but I was always well-satisfied with Toshibas (light with rugged cases) and less so with HP and Dell (ugh!). Those are the only three that I owned or used exclusively for any length of time, so things might be different these days.

Many academic institutions have discount programs through specific manufacturers. Contact your IT office to find out if such exist at your college.

Gokul43201 said:
Many academic institutions have discount programs through specific manufacturers. Contact your IT office to find out if such exist at your college.
I noticed that my new $500 dollar laptop is way better overall than my $2000 laptop I bought 2 years prior. It's funny how quickly consumer technology becomes outdated. IIRC, Dell offers some decent laptops for under $800 that have the latest 1GB graphics cards, 6gb ram, 500gb harddrive, i5 processing, 4 hour battery charge, and 17 inch screens.

1. What are the minimum specifications I should look for in a college laptop under $500?

The minimum specifications to look for in a college laptop under $500 include at least 8GB of RAM, a solid-state drive (SSD) for faster performance, and a processor with at least four cores. It should also have a decent battery life and a lightweight design for easy portability throughout campus.

2. Can I find a laptop under $500 that is suitable for both schoolwork and entertainment?

Yes, there are many laptops under $500 that offer a balance of performance and entertainment features. Look for laptops with a mid-range processor, at least 8GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card. These laptops will be able to handle both schoolwork and light gaming or streaming.

3. Should I prioritize battery life or performance when looking for a college laptop under $500?

It ultimately depends on your needs and usage. If you will primarily be using your laptop for schoolwork and need it to last throughout the day, then prioritize battery life. However, if you will be using it for more demanding tasks such as video editing or graphic design, then prioritize performance over battery life.

4. Are there any reputable brands that offer laptops under $500?

Yes, there are several reputable brands that offer laptops under $500, including Lenovo, HP, Dell, and Acer. It's important to do your research and read reviews to ensure you are getting a quality laptop within your budget.

5. Can I upgrade the components in a laptop under $500 in the future?

It depends on the specific laptop model. Some laptops under $500 may have limited upgrade options, while others may allow for RAM and storage upgrades. It's best to check the specifications and reviews of the laptop you are interested in to determine its upgrade potential.