I'm stuck. Solving Larson's Equation: 4.1.10

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation includes a homework problem asking for the solutions to the equation x^3+y^3+z^3=(x+y+z)^3, and a discussion of possible solutions and methods for proving that there are no other solutions. One attempt at a solution was to rewrite the equation as (x+y)(x+z)(y+z)=-xyz, but it was pointed out that this is incorrect. It was then determined that the solutions to this equation are x=-y, y=-z, or z=-x.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Larson 4.1.10

Homework Statement

Determine all triplets of integers (x,y,x) satisfying the equation

[tex]x^3+y^3+z^3=(x+y+z)^3[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the only solutions are x=y=0, x=z=0, z=y=0, z=-y and x=0, x=-z and y=0, x=-y and z=0. If I rewrite the equation as (x+y)(x+z)(y+z)=-xyz, several things are obvious:
1)x,y,z are not all odd
2)x,y,z are not all positive and not all negative
3)if for example, z is negative and x,y are positive, then abs(z)< x,y or abs(z)>x,y

But how can I show there are no other solutions...

Physics news on Phys.org
certainly either all are 0 or none
by fermat last theorm(diff. from earliar one)

i will work it out some other time

I am sure there is a way to do this without using Fermat's Last Theorem. None of Larson's problems require something that advanced.

I don't even see how Fermat is relevant here.

I have one comment on your attempted solution:
ehrenfest said:
If I rewrite the equation as (x+y)(x+z)(y+z)=-xyz
That doesn't look correct to me. Shouldn't the right side be simply 0?

morphism said:
That doesn't look correct to me. Shouldn't the right side be simply 0?

No. Multiply it out. The LHS only gives 2xyz.

Maybe it's the sleepiness, but it seems to me that (x+y+z)^3 = x^3 + y^3 + z^3 + 3(x+y)(x+z)(y+z).

morphism said:
Maybe it's the sleepiness, but it seems to me that (x+y+z)^3 = x^3 + y^3 + z^3 + 3(x+y)(x+z)(y+z).

You're right. It does. The solutions to (x+y)(x+z)(y+z)=0 (and to the the original equation) are x=-y,y=-z, or z=-x.

Last edited:

1. What is Larson's Equation?

Larson's Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of particles in a fluid. It is often used in fluid dynamics and is named after the physicist, Eric Larson.

2. What does it mean to be "stuck" in solving Larson's Equation?

Being "stuck" in solving Larson's Equation means that a scientist or mathematician has encountered a problem or obstacle while trying to solve the equation. This could be due to a lack of understanding, incorrect assumptions, or difficulty in finding a solution.

3. What are some common methods for solving Larson's Equation?

Some common methods for solving Larson's Equation include numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, and analytical methods, such as separation of variables or perturbation methods.

4. What are some real-world applications of Larson's Equation?

Larson's Equation has many real-world applications, including studying fluid flow in pipes and channels, analyzing air flow over aircraft wings, and understanding ocean currents. It is also used in fields such as meteorology, geophysics, and chemical engineering.

5. What are some challenges in solving Larson's Equation?

Some challenges in solving Larson's Equation include dealing with non-linear terms, boundary conditions, and complex geometries. Additionally, finding an exact solution to the equation can be difficult and often requires approximations or numerical methods.