Latex Derivative Help - Mistake Fixed

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule and product rule in finding the derivative of a function where x is equal to e^u and u is a function of x. The chain rule is used to find \frac{dy}{du} by multiplying e^u and \frac{dy}{dx}. The product rule is then used to find \frac{d^2y}{du^2} by taking the derivative of e^u \frac{dy}{dx} and adding it to e^u \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} \cdot \frac{dx}{du}. There is also a brief discussion about using latex in the conversation.
devious_
I posted the same thread twice. Oops. :tongue2:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Derivative

[tex]x = e^u[/tex], where u is a function of x.

Using the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{dy}{du} = e^u\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Using the product rule:
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{du^2} = \frac{d}{du}(e^u\frac{dy}{dx}) = e^u\frac{dy}{dx}+e^u\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}\cdot\frac{dx}{du}[/tex]

Why is it [tex]\frac{dx}{du}[/tex]?

Last edited:
What's this "y"-thingy?
It doesn't appear in your first line

(latex hint: you can use [ itex ] tags for formulas that go in a paragraph)

(Did you mean [itex]y = e^u[/itex]?)

Anyways, the chain rule says that:

[tex]
\frac{dp}{dq} = \frac{dp}{dr} \frac{dr}{dq}
[/tex]

In your calculation, you had to compute:

[tex]
\frac{d}{du} \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)
[/tex]

So, throw it into the chain rule and see what you get.

Bleh, I'm new to latex so I accidentally pressed the post thread button instead of the preview post one.

Anyway, let me elaborate.

[tex]x = e^u[/tex], where u is a function of x.

Using the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{dy}{du} = \frac{dy}{dx} \cdot \frac{dx}{du} = e^u \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Now, using the product rule:
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{du^2} = \frac{d}{du}(\frac{dy}{du}) = \frac{d}{du}(e^u \frac{dy}{dx}) = e^u \frac{dy}{dx} + e^u \frac{d^2}{dx^2} \cdot \frac{dx}{du}[/tex]

My question is:
Shouldn't [itex]\frac{dx}{du}[/itex] be [itex]\frac{dy}{du}[/itex]?

Last edited:
Nevermind. I see where I went wrong.

1. What is a latex derivative?

A latex derivative is a mathematical function that represents the rate of change of a latex function with respect to its variable. It is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

2. How do I calculate a latex derivative?

To calculate a latex derivative, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. It is important to follow the rules and carefully simplify your expression to get the correct answer.

3. What is the purpose of finding a latex derivative?

The purpose of finding a latex derivative is to determine the instantaneous rate of change of a latex function at a specific point. This can be useful in solving optimization problems, understanding the behavior of a function, and modeling real-world situations.

4. What common mistakes are made when finding a latex derivative?

Common mistakes when finding a latex derivative include forgetting to apply the chain rule, using the power rule incorrectly, and making algebraic errors while simplifying the expression. It is important to carefully follow the rules and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any tips for finding a latex derivative?

Some tips for finding a latex derivative include practicing different rules and techniques, carefully simplifying the expression, and using the correct notation. It can also be helpful to check your work using an online calculator or asking for help from a tutor or teacher.