Fix Latex Editing Bug in PF Posts

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter A. Neumaier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, there have been multiple reports of a bug where when editing latex in a post, the changes do not appear correctly in the standard view. This issue has been present since April 13, 2010 and affects all browsers and operating systems. It is suspected that the service provider may have started caching content around that time, causing the problem. Some users suggest that configuring the web server software to instruct proxies to not cache images may help, but it is unclear if this is a viable solution. Additionally, there have been reports of images appearing incorrectly in preview, with some users experiencing images from previous posts instead of the intended ones. It is unknown how this could occur.
A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
When I edit the latex in a post, the changes frequently do not appear correctly in the standard view. Deleting a latex formula when another one follows in the same post also has a strange effect.

Maybe someone could fix the bug in the editor.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's probably 20 threads about this already, but most of them just say that the workaround is to refresh and resend after each preview. It appears that we've had this problem since April 13, 2010. According to our LaTeX guy, chroot, nothing changed on the server around that time. The problem is essentially the same in all versions of all browsers, on all operating systems. This strongly suggests that the service provider started doing some weird caching around then. Has anyone been in contact with them? Maybe Greg just needs to ask them to configure an exception.

I don't know this web stuff well enough to know if something can be done on the server. Is it possible to configure the web server software to instruct proxies to not cache images?

It seems to me that something else must be wrong, in addition to the fact that somebody is caching something. How does a transparent proxy know what image to use from the cache? Isn't the image identified by a file name or something? When I previewed these four LaTeX images, I got the two images from my previous post instead of 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 were fine.

[tex]1[/tex]

[tex]2[/tex]

[tex]3[/tex]

[tex]4[/tex]

Can someone explain how that's possible?

What is the "Latex Editing Bug" in PF Posts?

The "Latex Editing Bug" refers to a technical issue where users are unable to properly edit and format mathematical equations and symbols in their posts on the popular physics forum, Physics Forums (PF).

Why is the "Latex Editing Bug" a problem for users on PF?

The "Latex Editing Bug" can be frustrating for users on PF because it affects the readability and accuracy of their mathematical equations and symbols. This can make it difficult for other users to understand and respond to their posts, and can also lead to errors or misunderstandings in discussions.

What is the cause of the "Latex Editing Bug" in PF Posts?

The exact cause of the "Latex Editing Bug" is currently unknown, but it is believed to be related to the coding and formatting of the PF website. It may also be affected by the browsers or devices that users are using to access the site.

Are there any workarounds or solutions for the "Latex Editing Bug" in PF Posts?

There are a few workarounds that users can try to alleviate the "Latex Editing Bug" in PF Posts. These include using different browsers or devices to access the site, manually editing the code for equations and symbols, or using external LaTeX editors and then copying and pasting the code into PF posts.

Is there a permanent fix for the "Latex Editing Bug" in PF Posts?

At this time, there is no permanent fix for the "Latex Editing Bug" in PF Posts. However, the developers of PF are aware of the issue and are working to find a solution. In the meantime, users can report any issues they encounter with the bug to the PF support team.