Latex Editor Gone? Find Out What Happened

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter knockout_artist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: K_a =...#In summary, the forum used to have an LaTeX editor, but it's no longer available. You can still format LaTeX code using double hashtags or double dollar signs, but it's not currently available in the post editor.
knockout_artist
Good Morning,

I don't see latex editor or latex equation inserting tool on the editing page any more, that's when I am creating a thread.

Has any this changed ?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
knockout_artist said:
Has any this changed ?
Depends on when you last checked. We haven't had a LaTeX editor since we migrated to Xenforo and that was 2.5 years ago. :smile:

knockout_artist said:
Perhaps its called some thing else.
Is the sigma symbol missing from the editor?

sigma button brings back symbols only.
the editor I am speaking of and i have used in past few months would pop open a small window.

In that window it will say "do not use $ $ "
and one editing is done and I press " insert" it will put equation in latex form and it will wrap it in
<tex> \int{a}{b}</tex>.

I am sure I have used it and I am not seeing things :D

knockout_artist said:
I am sure I have used it and I am not seeing things :D
I think maybe this was on a different website? We had something like that but it's been a couple years :smile:

I am only member of to math websites.
Other one is not even close to what I am talking about.

Any ways I will try to find one of my old thread and post it here.

thank you.

Even though the post editor does not have a button to insert LaTeX equations, the forum can still format LaTeX code. You just need to delimit your code with double hashtags or double dollar signs. For example:
#.# K_a = \frac{[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]}#.#
becomes
## K_a = \frac{[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]}##
when you remove the period between the hashtags

For more on using LaTeX on the forum see: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Likes knockout_artist
knockout_artist said:
I don't see latex editor or latex equation inserting tool on the editing page any more, that's when I am creating a thread.
I've been here since 2008 or so -- I don't remember ever seeing a LaTeX editor. Everything I do is simple enough that I just insert the script right in the page, similar to what @Ygggdrasil is talking about. For complicated expressions or equations, I hit the Preview button to make sure that my script doesn't have errors.

I think my problem is related to this thread. When I respond to a post with math, I can see LaTex features like '##' being used in the post I am responding to and have quoted, but I can not us it in my answers. I don't see math features in the BBcode guide, so I try LaTex but can not get it into that mode. It's like something in the quote turned it off and I can't turn it back on. What am I missing?

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
I think my problem is related to this thread. When I respond to a post with math, I can see LaTex features like '##' being used in the post I am responding to and have quoted, but I can not us it in my answers. I don't see math features in the BBcode guide, so I try LaTex but can not get it into that mode. It's like something in the quote turned it off and I can't turn it back on. What am I missing?
It's not completely clear to me what you're asking, but I'll take a stab anyway.

If you use the Reply button (at the lower right corner of the pane, LaTeX script comes through just fine. Here's a snippet of Yggdrasil's post that I did this on (with most of the text removed later by editing.
Ygggdrasil said:
#.# K_a = \frac{[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]}#.#
becomes
## K_a = \frac{[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]}##
On the other hand, if I just select some text that contains LaTeX script, it gets messed up with lots of extra characters, as below:
Ka=[H+][A−][HA]Ka=[H+][A−][HA] K_a = \frac{[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]}

The workaround is to put the mouse on the expression you want to copy, and right click on it. The menu that appears has Show Math As as the first choice. From that choice, another submenu opens, one option of which is TeX Commands. Clicking that one opens a small window that contains the LaTeX script for the expression you want.
Copy and paste that expression where you want it to go, using a pair of # characters at each end of the script (for inline LaTeX) or a pair of $ characters at each end (for standalone LaTeX.
Here's the result:
##
K_a = \frac{[H^+][A^-]}{[HA]}##

@Mark44 , I experimented more and discovered what I was doing wrong. I used BBcode from the editor buttons for subscripts x\[sub\]1\[/sub\] and that prevented the LaTex '#.#' (without the '.') from working.
Like this is no good:
Code:
## y[SUB]1[/SUB] = 2*x[SUB]1[/SUB] #.#  (dot added to suppress LaTex)

So my lesson learned is that I have to be careful about using the editor buttons in an equation if I am going to use LaTex.
##y_1 = 2*x_1##

FactChecker said:
So my lesson learned is that I have to be careful about using the editor buttons in an equation if I am going to use LaTex.
Right. LaTeX and BBCode don't play well together.

FactChecker said:
##y_1 = 2*x_1##
Or you can do this ##y_1 = 2x_1## or this ##y_1 = 2 \cdot x_1##. In the second equation I used \cdot, which to my eye looks nicer than *.

Likes FactChecker

1. What is a Latex editor and why is it important?

A Latex editor is a type of software used for creating and editing documents written in the Latex language. Latex is commonly used in academia and scientific fields for writing technical documents, as it allows for precise formatting and mathematical equations. It is important because it allows for the creation of professional-looking documents with complex formatting and symbols.

2. What happened to the Latex editor and why is it gone?

The Latex editor was most likely discontinued due to lack of demand or updates. Many people now use other document editing software that includes Latex capabilities, making a standalone Latex editor less necessary. Additionally, maintaining and updating software can be costly, so it may have been a business decision to discontinue it.

3. Can I still access my old documents created with the Latex editor?

Yes, you should still be able to access your old documents created with the Latex editor. Latex files have a .tex extension and can be opened and edited using other Latex editors or document editing software that supports Latex. However, since the Latex editor is no longer being updated, there may be compatibility issues with newer versions of software.

4. Are there any alternative Latex editors available?

Yes, there are many alternative Latex editors available for download. Some popular options include Texmaker, TeXstudio, and Overleaf. These editors offer similar features to the Latex editor and are regularly updated and supported by their developers.

5. Is Latex still a commonly used language in scientific fields?

Yes, Latex is still widely used in scientific fields, particularly in mathematics, computer science, and physics. However, the use of Latex may vary depending on the specific field and the preferences of individual researchers and journals. Some may still prefer to use traditional word processors, while others may opt for newer options such as Markdown or Jupyter Notebook.