Fixing LaTeX Symbol Display Issues on PhysicsForums

In summary, there is a problem with the display of large LaTeX symbols on the website Physics Forums. When scrolling through the page, these symbols appear to be messed up and the issue is particularly noticeable with parentheses on a 2x2 matrix. This problem started before the website upgrade and seems to be related to a change in the LaTeX fonts. While the matrix appears fine when the page is viewed normally, it is displayed incorrectly when the page is made smaller and scrolled through. This issue is not present for all users, as it does not occur on Internet Explorer with a different screen resolution.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In many posts with large LaTeX symbols, such as summation sigmas or the parentheses of a matrix, the upper part of those large symbols aren't displayed until you highlight them. If you then scroll them off the visible part of the page and then scroll back, they're messed up again. You should be able to see this if you open https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/matrix-representations-of-linear-transformations.694922/ for example. Parentheses of a 2x2 matrix seem to be especially vulnerable. I'll try it here
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2\\
3 & 4
\end{pmatrix} This isn't a PF 4.0 problem. It started about a week before the upgrade, when the LaTeX fonts were changed. (Everything got a little bit bigger).

Edit: The matrix above looks fine to me, when I just look at the page the usual way. But if I make the page small, and scroll down so that the matrix disappears up top, and then scroll down slowly, the parentheses are displayed incorrectly. If I scroll down fast, they look fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm using Firefox on my laptop, which has 1920x1200 resolution. I just tried Internet Explorer, and I don't see the problem there.

This is what it looks like:

latex_problem.jpg

1. Why are some LaTeX symbols not displaying correctly on PhysicsForums?

The most common reason for this issue is that the specific symbol is not included in the LaTeX package that is being used on PhysicsForums. This can be resolved by finding and using a different package that includes the desired symbol.

2. How can I fix the alignment of my LaTeX equations on PhysicsForums?

The alignment of LaTeX equations can sometimes appear off due to the use of non-standard fonts or font sizes. To fix this, try adjusting the font or font size to a standard size such as 10 or 12 pt.

3. Is there a way to troubleshoot LaTeX symbol display issues on PhysicsForums?

Yes, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot these issues. First, make sure that you are using the correct LaTeX syntax for the desired symbol. You can also try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page. If the problem persists, try using a different browser or device.

4. Can I use custom LaTeX packages on PhysicsForums?

No, PhysicsForums does not allow the use of custom LaTeX packages. This is to ensure consistency and compatibility among all users on the forum. However, there are many standard packages available that should cover most symbols and equations.

5. How can I report a LaTeX symbol display issue on PhysicsForums?

If you encounter a symbol display issue on PhysicsForums, you can report it to the forum administrators by clicking on the "Report" button next to the post. You can also reach out to the moderators for assistance in resolving the issue.