Latex Paragraph Spacing: What Command To Use?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Charles Link
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of not being able to get a space between paragraphs with certain commands in the latest version of Latex. It is suggested to end the Latex environment, add normal line breaks, and begin a new Latex formula to solve this issue. However, there is also an issue with MathJax not implementing line breaks yet, and it may not be fixed until next year. A possible solution using the \displaylines command is also mentioned.
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Perhaps up to a year ago, I used to be able to get a space between paragraphs with #" "# "\ "\ "#" "#". That no longer works with the latest Latex version. What command can I use to get a space between paragraphs?

Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to ignore all line breaks within the LaTeX environment. You can end the LaTeX environment, add normal line breaks and begin a new LaTeX formula.
$$a=b$$
$$c=d$$

Likes Charles Link
Wrichik Basu said:
It seems that v3 of MathJax hasn't implemented line breaks yet. See this issue: https://github.com/mathjax/MathJax/issues/2312

And it seems that this will not be fixed before next year: see this comment from the above issue.
A comment from the same person there suggested that using
\displaylines{x = a + b \\\ y = b + c} would work ##-##
$$\displaylines{x = a + b \\ y = b + c}$$ ##-## apparently it does.

Likes Wrichik Basu
mfb said:
It seems to ignore all line breaks within the LaTeX environment. You can end the LaTeX environment, add normal line breaks and begin a new LaTeX formula.
$$a=b$$
$$c=d$$
Thanks. This is what I needed. Hitting the "Enter" button a couple of times works. :)

Likes berkeman

1. What is the default paragraph spacing in Latex?

The default paragraph spacing in Latex is one line. This means that there is no extra space between paragraphs.

2. How can I change the paragraph spacing in Latex?

You can change the paragraph spacing in Latex by using the command "\setlength{\parskip}{value}". The value can be given in different units such as pt, cm, in, etc. For example, "\setlength{\parskip}{10pt}" will set the paragraph spacing to 10 points.

3. Can I change the paragraph spacing for a specific section or paragraph in Latex?

Yes, you can change the paragraph spacing for a specific section or paragraph in Latex by using the command "\vspace{value}". This will add the specified value of space after the current paragraph. For example, "\vspace{5mm}" will add 5 millimeters of space after the current paragraph.

4. How can I remove the paragraph indentation in Latex?

To remove the paragraph indentation in Latex, you can use the command "\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}". This will remove the indentation for all paragraphs in your document. If you only want to remove the indentation for a specific paragraph, you can use the command "\noindent" at the beginning of that paragraph.

5. Is there a way to adjust the paragraph spacing globally in Latex?

Yes, there is a way to adjust the paragraph spacing globally in Latex. You can use the command "\linespread{value}" to change the line spacing for the entire document. This will also affect the paragraph spacing. For example, "\linespread{1.5}" will increase the spacing between lines and therefore also the paragraph spacing.