Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX rendering in the S&GR forum

1. Apr 5, 2006 #1

rbj

has anyone else noticed that LaTeX rendering seems to be working in the other forums but not this one? i might have thought that something was wrong with my browser (Firefox) or OS (Mac OSX), but the other forums seem to be able to render LaTeX math just fine.

anyone know what the deal is?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Testing...

[tex]E = m c^2[/tex]

Seems to work OK.

4. Apr 5, 2006 #3

rbj

hmmmm. yes it does (here).

doesn't seem to work for any posts in the photon mass thread. not for my posts or anyone else's.

if it's just my browser, i don't understand why just that thread.

5. Apr 5, 2006 #4

rbj

testing...

testing....

wow. works here but not there.

well, i tested new posts there and even edited a pos of mine that was less than a day old and the new edits show the LaTeX, but none of the previous posts, mine or others, show the LaTeX.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  6. Apr 6, 2006 #5

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Testing:

[tex]\rho_{crit} = \frac{3H_0^2}{8\pi G}[/tex]

EDIT That didn't work before on my browser since the change of server. It didn't work either when 'PMing'.
    Garth

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  7. Apr 6, 2006 #6

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm using IE6.0, and no matter what forum I'm in, LaTeX now appears on a white background. Normally, it would be black text with a grey background that blended in perfectly with the background of the rest of the post. Now LaTeX is appearing in white boxes.

Attached Files:

8. Apr 6, 2006 #7

Ich

Science Advisor

I got the same problem with Firefox 1.5.

9. Apr 6, 2006 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I just tried it in that thread. It worked for me.

10. Apr 6, 2006 #9
    There appears to be something going on... I've noticed this problem in the thread on Kaku's QFT book in the QM forum too. And there is no background transparency in the PNGs as there used to be. The LaTeX generation also appears to be ever-so-slightly different.

Maybe they changed/updated the LaTeX generation software on the server recently?

11. Apr 6, 2006 #10
    All LaTeX images created after the change work fine. Any LaTeX images before the change cannot be generated anymore and are no longer visible. I do not know what this change is though but I believe it occurred about 48 hours ago.

12. Apr 6, 2006 #11

rbj

i'm relieved that someone else has noticed. and yes, the LaTeX equations generated now do have white background even if the other background is grey. but, the TeX equations in that "photon mass" thread on the first page, do not show at all on my Mac and there are messages saying "LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment." and in some places where equations of other posts were quoted, there is a message in red letters: "LaTeX image generation failed. The LaTeX source for this image is invalid.". but clicking on that shows valid LaTeX code.

13. Apr 6, 2006 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The LaTeX system was down for a day or so when we recently moved to a new server. All posts made during that time will show the "LaTeX graphic is being generated" message, though, as you can tell, no LaTeX graphic is actually forthcoming.

Yes, in fact, all LaTeX images generated now have a white background. I'm not happy about this, but I'm having to scrounge around to find a solution. The back-end image software on the server was changed recently, causing some problems with the transparency. I will definitely be working on it.

- Warren

14. Apr 8, 2006 #13
    I believe most of the aforementioned problems have been solved. It just appears that some posts that were made during this changeover aren't displayed. But that's a minor gripe, really.

However, does anyone else notice that the fonts for rendering the output are different? Or am I just going crazy...

15. Apr 8, 2006 #14

Ich

Science Advisor

I got the same impression. Seems to be finer (and less readable on my old tft).

16. Apr 8, 2006 #15

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

17. Apr 9, 2006 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the new antialiasing routine is, in fact, pretty annoying to me. It's not nearly as readable as it used to be. I will be working on improving it, as soon as I can find out what was done to ghostscript in the first place...

- Warren

18. Apr 9, 2006 #17

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a hack that might work for now... assuming that imagemagick is available:

convert -gamma 0.2 oldfile.png newfile.png

19. Apr 9, 2006 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

robphy,

Hum, you mean the problem is just that the antialiased pixels are too light in intensity? I didn't realize it could be as simple as correcting the gamma. I don't need imagemagick to play with the gamma; the pnm tools will do it, also. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

- Warren

20. Apr 9, 2006 #19

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, adjusting the gamma does indeed make the font strokes appear darker, but at the expense of the antialiasing quality. It doesn't solve the fundamental issue. They still don't look quite right.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?