1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lathes - fits between different parts of a lathe

1. Apr 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey, so ive got an assignment for one of my MECH classes at uni where i am required to find the class of fit (clearance, transition or interference) between different parts of a lathe (i.e. spindle and spindle bearing, hand wheel and spindle etc.)I was wondering if anyone has any good sites or information that i could access to find this information

2. Relevant equations
    I wish

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ive been searching but to no avail

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It should be possible to work out what many of them are. For example parts that have to be adjusted or removed and replaced frequently aren't likely to be an interference fit. Things like bearings which only have to be serviced infrequently might be an interference fit into castings or onto shafts. Things like hand wheels are likely to be clearance fit with a grub screw to secure for ease of assembly. etc

Perhaps have a look at the service manual for a lathe which will give you clues as to how parts are removed?

Perhaps have a chat with whoever maintains the lathes at the uni workshop? Have him talk you over the various parts of a lathe

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted