Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laughing with tears, crying in happiness

1. Aug 29, 2004 #1
    Why do some people after receiving gold medals in Olympics Game cry in happiness and laugh with full of tears in their eyes ?
    :tongue2:

Many thanks..:2you2:..:cool:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2004 #2

mee

Maybe they are crying because of all the effort and pain that went into bringing them such an honor? Like they can stop being tough and finally cry because they have achieved the pinnacle of their goal?

4. Aug 30, 2004 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Umm...have you never heard the expression: "tears of joy?" I don't think that crying is a phenomenon rigidly tied to the emotional state of sadness. Any situation in which a person feels overwhelmed by an emotion, and must let it out in some way, be it despair, joy, euphoria, victory etc is fair game for crying, from what I've seen. It's especially true when the event marks a significant transition or when it is poignant enough that the line between happiness and sadness or suffering is kind of blurred, or just shifting, e.g. being reunited with loved ones, finding hope in the face of endless despair, achieving victory against all odds. I don't think things are so black and white.

What do you guys think?

5. Aug 30, 2004 #4
    Correct !!!!!!!!! Correct !!!!!!
    I have no idea though...---sal---

6. Aug 30, 2004 #5

mee

I think it is the poignacy that causes it, "tears of joy" by releasing sadness when it is finally overcome. I don't think you have disproven my assertion. Maybe people are releasing happiness when they cry from sadness. Maybe tears are caused whenever a significant emotion is being switched for another.

7. Aug 30, 2004 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh...sorry. I wasn't trying to refute you. I was addressing my question to Vance. It's a neat topic he/she has brought up, and you had some interesting responses. I think we're sort of on the same "wavelength" here eh?

8. Jul 14, 2005 #7
    help with crying

Interesting subject!
    I am a guy, and get married in 2 weeks, and am experiencing a disabling propensity for crying.
    I have had to insist that the ceremony requires me to only say "I Do" as anything else will reduce me to a flood of uncontrollable tears.
    Our wedding officer thought I was joking when I suggested this, but then I only had to begin to read the ceremony that was planned for me to be reduced to floods of tears, and a complete inability to speak! Only THEN was I believed!
    In spite of society's vocalised acceptance of this behaviour it is STILL percieved to be a weakness in men.
    here comes the crunch, i want to enjoy this event instaed of dreading my behavioural collapse, and i need some suggestions as to how to control myself better.
    I am happy to cry in private with my new bride and she has no problem with it, but the prospect of our video, and photos immortalising my embarrasment is a major issue.
    please suggest whatever you think even MIGHT work, I am getting desperate now.
    thanks everyone,
    Bart

9. Jul 14, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Perhaps this is a very dumb idea, baldbart:
    I think that crying is a sort of tension-release mechanism in us.
    Perhaps if you engage yourself in some sort of other tension-release mechanism, possibly your body won't feel the need of crying that much?

I am in particular thinking of playing tennis, or taking a jogging trip, or go for a brisk walk.
    Something to take your mind off the upcoming celebration, and be relaxed when the great day arrives.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?