Laughing with tears, crying in happiness

• Thread starter Vance
  • Start date
In summary: And then you would be able to enjoy the moment more. :)Perhaps if you engage yourself in some sort of other tension-release mechanism, possibly your body won't feel...emotional? And then you would be able to enjoy the moment more. :)
Vance
Why do some people after receiving gold medals in Olympics Game cry in happiness and laugh with full of tears in their eyes ?
:tongue2:

Many thanks..:2you2:..:cool:

Biology news on Phys.org
Vance said:
Why do some people after receiving gold medals in Olympics Game cry in happiness and laugh with full of tears in their eyes ?
:tongue2:

Many thanks..:2you2:..:cool:

Maybe they are crying because of all the effort and pain that went into bringing them such an honor? Like they can stop being tough and finally cry because they have achieved the pinnacle of their goal?

Umm...have you never heard the expression: "tears of joy?" I don't think that crying is a phenomenon rigidly tied to the emotional state of sadness. Any situation in which a person feels overwhelmed by an emotion, and must let it out in some way, be it despair, joy, euphoria, victory etc is fair game for crying, from what I've seen. It's especially true when the event marks a significant transition or when it is poignant enough that the line between happiness and sadness or suffering is kind of blurred, or just shifting, e.g. being reunited with loved ones, finding hope in the face of endless despair, achieving victory against all odds. I don't think things are so black and white.

What do you guys think?

cepheid said:
Umm...have you never heard the expression: "tears of joy?" I don't think that crying is a phenomenon rigidly tied to the emotional state of sadness. Any situation in which a person feels overwhelmed by an emotion, and must let it out in some way, be it despair, joy, euphoria, victory etc is fair game for crying, from what I've seen. It's especially true when the event marks a significant transition or when it is poignant enough that the line between happiness and sadness or suffering is kind of blurred, or just shifting, e.g. being reunited with loved ones, finding hope in the face of endless despair, achieving victory against all odds. I don't think things are so black and white.

What do you guys think?
Correct ! Correct !
I have no idea though...---sal---

cepheid said:

What do you guys think?

I think it is the poignacy that causes it, "tears of joy" by releasing sadness when it is finally overcome. I don't think you have disproven my assertion. Maybe people are releasing happiness when they cry from sadness. Maybe tears are caused whenever a significant emotion is being switched for another.

mee said:
I don't think you have disproven my assertion. Maybe people are releasing happiness when they cry from sadness.

Oh...sorry. I wasn't trying to refute you. I was addressing my question to Vance. It's a neat topic he/she has brought up, and you had some interesting responses. I think we're sort of on the same "wavelength" here eh?

help with crying

Interesting subject!
I am a guy, and get married in 2 weeks, and am experiencing a disabling propensity for crying.
I have had to insist that the ceremony requires me to only say "I Do" as anything else will reduce me to a flood of uncontrollable tears.
Our wedding officer thought I was joking when I suggested this, but then I only had to begin to read the ceremony that was planned for me to be reduced to floods of tears, and a complete inability to speak! Only THEN was I believed!
In spite of society's vocalised acceptance of this behaviour it is STILL perceived to be a weakness in men.
here comes the crunch, i want to enjoy this event instead of dreading my behavioural collapse, and i need some suggestions as to how to control myself better.
I am happy to cry in private with my new bride and she has no problem with it, but the prospect of our video, and photos immortalising my embarrasment is a major issue.
please suggest whatever you think even MIGHT work, I am getting desperate now.
thanks everyone,
Bart

Perhaps this is a very dumb idea, baldbart:
I think that crying is a sort of tension-release mechanism in us.
Perhaps if you engage yourself in some sort of other tension-release mechanism, possibly your body won't feel the need of crying that much?

I am in particular thinking of playing tennis, or taking a jogging trip, or go for a brisk walk.
Something to take your mind off the upcoming celebration, and be relaxed when the great day arrives.

Last edited:

What is the scientific explanation behind "laughing with tears, crying in happiness"?

The phenomenon of laughing with tears and crying in happiness is known as emotional ambivalence. It occurs when a person experiences two opposing emotions at the same time, leading to a mixture of laughter and tears. This can happen due to a variety of reasons, such as feeling overwhelmed with joy or experiencing conflicting emotions during a particularly emotional event.

How does the brain process these conflicting emotions?

Studies have shown that the brain processes emotions in different areas, and sometimes these areas can activate at the same time, leading to emotional ambivalence. When a person laughs with tears or cries in happiness, it is a result of the amygdala, which is responsible for processing emotions, triggering both the laughter and tears response.

Is "laughing with tears, crying in happiness" a common occurrence?

Yes, it is a relatively common phenomenon. People often experience emotional ambivalence during significant life events, such as weddings, graduations, or the birth of a child. It can also happen during everyday situations, such as watching a heartwarming movie or hearing a funny joke.

Does laughing with tears or crying in happiness have any benefits?

Studies have shown that experiencing emotional ambivalence can have positive effects on a person's well-being. It allows them to release and process conflicting emotions, leading to a sense of catharsis and emotional balance. It can also help build resilience and coping skills.

Can laughing with tears or crying in happiness be controlled?

While it is not possible to directly control the occurrence of emotional ambivalence, individuals can practice mindfulness and emotional regulation techniques to manage their reactions to conflicting emotions. This can help them experience a more balanced and controlled response to intense emotional situations.