What is the Laurent series of z/(sin z)^2?

In summary, the Laurent series of f(z) = z/(\sin z)^2 about 0 is given by a1z + a2z^2 + ..., where the coefficients a1 and a2 can be found by expanding the function and equating it to z. The singularity at z=0 is removable, and the order of the pole at z=0 can be determined by taking the limit of the derivative of the function as z approaches 0.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Laurent Series of z/(sin z)^2

Homework Statement
Find the first four terms of the Laurent series of [itex]f(z) = z/(\sin z)^2[/itex] about 0.

The attempt at a solution
I know that when z = 0, f(z) is undefined so it has a singularity there. This singularity is a pole because

[tex]\lim_{z \to 0} \left|\frac{z}{(\sin z)^2}\right| = \infty[/tex]

I want to find the order of this pole, which according to my book is the order of the zero z = 0 of 1/f(z). But z = 0 is not a zero of 1/f(z) because it is undefined at z = 0.

My plan of attack is to find the order of the pole z = 0, find the form of the Laurent series of f, expand [itex]f(z)(\sin z)^2[/itex], equate it to z and get the first four terms of the Laurent series.

Physics news on Phys.org
e(ho0n3 said:
Homework Statement
Find the first four terms of the Laurent series of [itex]f(z) = z/(\sin z)^2[/itex] about 0.

The attempt at a solution
I know that when z = 0, f(z) is undefined so it has a singularity there. This singularity is a pole because

[tex]\lim_{z \to 0} \left|\frac{z}{(\sin z)^2}\right| = \infty[/tex]

I want to find the order of this pole, which according to my book is the order of the zero z = 0 of 1/f(z). But z = 0 is not a zero of 1/f(z) because it is undefined at z = 0.
But it has a removable discontinuity at z= 0. sin(z)= z- (1/6)z3+ ... so sin2(z)= z2- (1/6)z4+ ... f(z)/z= z- (1/6)z3+... That clearly is 0 at z= 0 but its derivative is not so it has a zero of order 1 at z= 0.

My plan of attack is to find the order of the pole z = 0, find the form of the Laurent series of f, expand [itex]f(z)(\sin z)^2[/itex], equate it to z and get the first four terms of the Laurent series.
I'm not sure I am following this. What do you mean by "find the form of the Laurent series of f" if not find the Laurent series itself?

HallsofIvy said:
But it has a removable discontinuity at z= 0.
By "it", I suspect you mean 1/f(z). That is correct. Should I redefine 1/f(z) so that it is 0 at z = 0 and work with that to find the order of z = 0?

sin(z)= z- (1/6)z3+ ... so sin2(z)= z2- (1/6)z4+ ... f(z)/z= z- (1/6)z3+... That clearly is 0 at z= 0 but its derivative is not so it has a zero of order 1 at z= 0.
This is where I'm confused. The order of a zero z0 is the least j such that the jth derivative of f evaluated at z0 is not 0. Let g(z) = 1/f(z). About z = 0, g(z) may be written as g(0) + g'(0)z + g''(0)/2 z2 + ... But g(0) is not defined. What you did seems unfair to me because you expanded the square of sin z, then divide by z (so you're assuming z is not 0), and then you evaluated at z = 0.

I'm not sure I am following this. What do you mean by "find the form of the Laurent series of f" if not find the Laurent series itself?
By the form, I mean determining from what power of z to start with in the series. You state that the order is 1 so f(z) = a-1/z + a0 + a1z + ...

Forget about the Laurent series for now.

g(z) = (sin z)2/z has a singularity as z = 0. It is removable since [itex]|g(z)| \to 0[/itex] as [itex]z \to 0[/itex]. I can therefore redefine g as follows: g(z) = 0 if z = 0; otherwise g(z) = (sin z)2/z right? g is now entire and so has a power series about 0 which converges for any z:

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{g^{(i)}(0)}{i!}z^i[/tex]

Right? Now g'(z) = sin(2z)/z - (sin z)2/z2 which is undefined at z = 0 so the power series can't possibly converge. Where did I go wrong?

Formally, the Laurent series of f(z) about 0 is

[tex]\sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty a_k z^k[/tex]

where

[tex]a_k = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_{|w| = r} \frac{dw}{w^k(\sin w)^2}[/tex]

where [itex]0 < r < \pi[/itex]. I tried the case k = 0 and couldn't evaluate the integral.

I believe there must be some kind of trick to get the Laurent series for f(z). I really don't know what else to try.

e(ho0n3 said:
Forget about the Laurent series for now.

g(z) = (sin z)2/z has a singularity as z = 0. It is removable since [itex]|g(z)| \to 0[/itex] as [itex]z \to 0[/itex]. I can therefore redefine g as follows: g(z) = 0 if z = 0; otherwise g(z) = (sin z)2/z right? g is now entire and so has a power series about 0 which converges for any z:

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{g^{(i)}(0)}{i!}z^i[/tex]

Right? Now g'(z) = sin(2z)/z - (sin z)2/z2 which is undefined at z = 0 so the power series can't possibly converge. Where did I go wrong?
?
[tex]g'= \frac{2zsin(z)cos(z)- sin^2(z)}{z^2}= 2(\frac{sin(z)}{z})cos(z)-
(\frac{sin(z)}{z})^2)[/tex] which goes to 2-1= 1 as z goes to 0. How did you get the "sin(2z)"?

2(sin z)(cos z) = sin 2z.

Why are you taking the limit?

e(ho0n3 said:
Now g'(z) = sin(2z)/z - (sin z)2/z2 which is undefined at z = 0 so the power series can't possibly converge. Where did I go wrong?

The singularity at z=0 is removable, since the limit of g'(z) as z->0 is finite (specifically, as noted by HallsofIvy, the limit equals one).

The fast way to compute the Taylor series for g(z) is to first write it as g(z)=(1-cos(2z))/(2z), then use the known series for the cosine to get 1-cos(2z), and finally divide by 2z, term by term.

You should find a series of the form a1z + a2z2+... . To get the series for f(z)=1/g(z), write the series for g(z) as a1z[1 + (a2/a1)z + ...], and take the reciprocal by standard methods.

By the way, you can see that f(z) has a pole of order one at z=0 without doing any real calculating: near z=0 we have sin(z) ~ z, so z/(sin z)2 ~ 1/z.

Last edited:
Avodyne said:
The fast way to compute the Taylor series for g(z) is to first write it as g(z)=(1-cos(2z))/(2z), then use the known series for the cosine to get 1-cos(2z), and finally divide by 2z, term by term.
True. But what bugs me is that it can't get the power series through the standard method, i.e by computing the coefficients in the Taylor expansion.

You should find a series of the form a1z + a2z2+... . To get the series for f(z)=1/g(z), write the series for g(z) as a1z[1 + (a2/a1)z + ...], and take the reciprocal by standard methods.

What standard methods? I'm not familiar how to compute the reciprocal of a power series. Perhaps you mean by using partial fractions?

By the way, you can see that f(z) has a pole of order one at z=0 without doing any real calculating: near z=0 we have sin(z) ~ z, so z/(sin z)2 ~ 1/z.

True. I wanted to show that formally and got stuck.

Since I know the f(z) has a pole of order 1 at 0, then f(z) = b-1z-1 + b0 + b1z+ b2z2 + ...

f(z)(sin z)2 = z and so computing the power series of the product on the left and equating the coefficients with those on the right should be enough to compute the Laurent series of f right?

e(ho0n3 said:
But what bugs me is that it can't get the power series through the standard method, i.e by computing the coefficients in the Taylor expansion.
You can. You just have to define the derivatives of g(z) at z=0 by a limit process (because of the removable singularity there).
e(ho0n3 said:
What standard methods? I'm not familiar how to compute the reciprocal of a power series.
Consider S = 1 + c1x + c2x2 + ... . Let y = S-1. Then 1/S = 1 - y + y2 - ... = 1 - (c1x + c2x2 + ...) + (c1x + c2x2 + ...)2 + ... . Then expand out the powers, and retain terms up to the order you need.
e(ho0n3 said:
f(z)(sin z)2 = z and so computing the power series of the product on the left and equating the coefficients with those on the right should be enough to compute the Laurent series of f right?
Yes, that works as well.

Last edited:
Avodyne said:
You can. You just have to define the derivatives of g(z) at z=0 by a limit process (because of the removable singularity there).

Aha. I didn't know that. The book I'm using is scarce on details.

Consider S = 1 + c1x + c2x2 + ... . Let y = S-1. Then 1/S = 1 - y + y2 - ... = 1 - (c1x + c2x2 + ...) + (c1x + c2x2 + ...)2 + ... . Then expand out the powers, and retain terms up to the order you need.

Interesting. I don't see why that works though. Would you elaborate?

Thanks a lot for the help.

OK, let me try again. Let y = c1x + c2x2 + ... , so that S = 1+y. Then 1/(1+y) = 1 - y + y2 - ... is a standard Taylor expansion. (It's good to know a simple library of expansions like this.) Now just substitute in the expression for y in terms of x, and expand in powers of x.

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of power series expansion that is used to represent complex functions. It consists of a sum of terms with increasing powers of a complex variable, and it is used to approximate the behavior of a function near a point.

2. What is the Laurent series of z/(sin z)^2?

The Laurent series of z/(sin z)^2 is given by the infinite sum: z/(sin z)^2 = 1/z^2 + 1 + z^2/3 + z^4/15 + z^6/105 + ..., which is valid for all values of z except for z = 0.

3. How is the Laurent series of z/(sin z)^2 derived?

The Laurent series of z/(sin z)^2 can be derived using the Taylor series expansion of sin z and the quotient rule for derivatives. It involves finding the coefficients of the series by taking derivatives of the function at the point of expansion, z = 0.

4. What is the significance of the Laurent series?

The Laurent series allows us to approximate complex functions and understand their behavior near a point. It also helps us to analyze the singularities and poles of a function, which are important in many areas of mathematics and physics.

5. Is the Laurent series of z/(sin z)^2 convergent?

No, the Laurent series of z/(sin z)^2 is not convergent at z = 0 because it has an essential singularity at this point. However, it is convergent for all other values of z, and the series represents the function for those values.