Law of conservation of momentum question

In summary, most geologists believe that the dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago due to a large comet or asteroid impacting the Earth, blocking out the sun for several months. Using the law of conservation of momentum, the Earth's recoil speed after a collision with an asteroid of 2.0km diameter and 1.0*10^13 kg mass was calculated to be 668.896 m/s. This is approximately 2.2% of the Earth's speed around the sun, assuming a roughly circular orbit.
physics120

Homework Statement

Most geologists believe that the dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago when a large comet or asteroid struck the earth, throwing up so much dust that the sun was blocked out for a period of many months. Suppose an asteroid with a diameter of 2.0km and a mass of 1.0*10^13 kg hits the Earth with an impact speed of 4.0*10^4 m/s.

a) What is the Earth's recoil speed after such a collision? (Use a reference frame in which the Earth was initially at rest.)

b) What percentage is this of the Earth's speed around the sun?

Homework Equations

I used the law of conservation of momentum (Pf = Pi) This states that the total momentum after an interaction is equal to the total momentum before the interaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Using Pf=Pi, I solved for the final velocity, which is the same for both the Earth and the asteroid, and got 668.896 m/s. (The final velocity is the Earth's recoil speed)

b) NOW for this part, I got from my textbook that the "earth's mean distance from sun (m) = 1.50*10^11 m. Also, I got that the Earth's period (years) = 1.00 years

Using these, I found the speed to be 4756.468798 m/s by converting years to seconds and dividing the two numbers (to get m/s)

Then,

(668.896m/s / 4756.4688798m/s) * 100% = 14%

Did I do this correctly? Did I use the correct numbers from my textbook to get the speed?

Please help!

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
The data from your book is correct, but it appears that you forgot to multiply by 2pi! That number you have is the mean radius. If we assume the orbit is roughly circular, we multiply it by 2pi so we can get the circumference - THAT is the distance the Earth travels in a year.

I see! So I tried it again and found the circumference. Is it 2.2% for the percentage of the Earth's speed around the sun?

Thank-you, by the way!

Yup, that's correct! and no problem.

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that the momentum of all objects in a closed system will remain the same before and after a collision or interaction.

2. How is momentum defined in the context of the law of conservation of momentum?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In other words, it is a measure of how difficult it is to stop an object's motion.

3. Is the law of conservation of momentum always applicable?

Yes, the law of conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and is always applicable in closed systems where there are no external forces acting on the objects.

4. How does the law of conservation of momentum relate to Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that in a collision, the two objects involved will experience equal and opposite forces. The law of conservation of momentum explains that the total momentum of the two objects will remain the same before and after the collision.

5. Can the law of conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the law of conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed interactions. If it appears to be violated, it is likely due to external forces that were not accounted for or inaccuracies in measurements.