Understanding Thermodynamics in an Experiment: Laws at Play

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving thermo and the application of thermodynamics laws. The zero and second laws are identified as present, while the first and third laws are questioned. The thread ends with a request to write down the laws of Thermodynamics.
Kloji

Homework Statement

Hello.

I'm starting to study thermo and I'm kind of confused.

In this experiment: http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/echem/echem2.html

Note: I'm not talking about about the actual solar cell, I'm just talking about the heating up part (until the black layer part).

Homework Equations

What thermodynamics laws are present?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the zero law is present when the copper is on the stove in the beginning.

Also, the second law is present because there's a chemical reaction when oxide is formed.

Am I right? How could the first and third law be present?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down those laws of Thermodynamics, please!ehild

What are the Laws of Thermodynamics?

The Laws of Thermodynamics are fundamental principles in physics that describe the behavior of energy in a system. They govern the flow of heat and work, and explain the relationships between different forms of energy.

What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that in any energy conversion or transfer, there will always be an increase in the total entropy (disorder) of the system and its surroundings. This means that energy tends to spread out and become more evenly distributed, resulting in less useful energy available for work.

How do the Laws of Thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

The Laws of Thermodynamics apply to almost every aspect of our daily lives. From the way our bodies convert food into energy, to the functioning of machines and engines, to the heating and cooling of our homes, these laws govern the behavior of energy in all natural and man-made systems.

What are some examples of violations of the Laws of Thermodynamics?

There are no known violations of the Laws of Thermodynamics, as they are considered fundamental laws of nature. However, there are some cases where it may appear as though energy is being created or destroyed, such as in perpetual motion machines. These machines are actually impossible according to the Second Law, as they would violate the law of entropy increase.