1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LC Circuits

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1

dwn

I'm having a difficult time finding any information in regards to LC circuits.

The total energy in an circuit is 5.0*10^-6 J. If C= 15 microfarads, what is the charge
    on the capacitor? the ans is 12 microC

An circuit has an inductance of 15 mH and a capacitance of 10 µF. At one instant
    the charge on the capacitor is 25 µC. At that instant the current is changing at what rate?

ans : 170 A/s

Again, I am unable to find the formula/information to solve these equations. Can someone please tell me what I am missing. I know the inductance equations (RLC) , but I don't see any in our book that contain just LC.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the equation for the energy stored on a capacitor in terms of the capacitance and voltage?

Write the differential equations for a series LC circuit. Does that help you to get to the answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted