1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Learning classical mechanics

1. Feb 8, 2016 #1
    Hi

I need to relearn classical mechanics. More specifically, I need to relearn everything in this PDF:
    http://www.springer.com/cda/content...195957-t1.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1509999-p177402416

However, since I have taken this course before, I want to be a little over prepared. My background is in mathematics. I am not good at just memorizing formulas; I prefer knowing how they are deduced. So, I want a book to supplement the one we are using to better understand the physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2016 #2
    my recommendation to learn classical mechanics :
    • Classical Mechanics - David Morin
    • Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition - Goldstein
    • Classical Dynamics of Particle and System - Jerry.B Marion, Stephen T. Thornton

4. Apr 15, 2016 #3
    "What explanation(s) a textbook gives of the collapse of the 1/3-year old Tacoma Narrows bridge in November 1940", is the best criterion. Compare the solution(s) given by your prefered primer of classical mechanics, with the explanations seen on internet, e.g. at Wikipedia.com or .fr. Too often since 1957 the american college-level physics-mechanics manuals/course-notes have given an incomplete/ shortened explanation of the failure, because of students' lack of knowlege (one or two credits) in differential equations. Since two or three decades, several textbooks fo Calculus1 (3 or 4 credits) contain a latter chapter on ODEs; this is better than nothing, though this chapter is generally skipped by the teacher. The first true, complete & most interesting explanation, has been presented to the public in 1959. But the current high-school-, the college- and freshman-university-levels courses still don't offer/ show it. Very stubborn is the typical American system of education who seemingly boats for teaching the quanta in modern physics to their teenagers or young adults who don't learn the true & fundamental notions of mechanics of waves of big suspended bridges. ____________________________________________ And concerning the equation e = mc^2 . It is a symbolic notational presentation of an abbridged sentence in physics. It is a formula of capital importance, although not a mathematical-physical equation. It truly means: "An increase of energy corresponds to ( or could be translated into, or could be obtained/manufactured by) an increase of the arithmetic product of the mass of matter by its respective speed raised at the power of two." As a result, the further addition of some related parameters (for instance belonging to astro-physics) appears less heretical. Thence your senses of logic & mathematics aren't hurted any more; in advanced physics, there is no place for fiction science.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  5. Apr 20, 2016 #4
    1) "Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 8/e" by Raymond Serway + 1. A chapter on static equilibrium and elasticity; a last chapter on universal gravitation Nothing on general relativity. 2) "Schaum's Outiline of Engineering Mechanics: Statics", by W. McLean +3. (Wait for next edition which will give access on internet.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted