Need a Supplement for Understanding Classical Mechanics?

In summary: Excelsior: A Mathematical Companion to Science and Engineering", by David H. Thurston 5. "An Introduction to Mathematical Physics" by John B. S. Haldane In summary, a textbook gives an abridged explanation of the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows bridge in 1940. The equation e = mc^2 is a symbolic notational presentation of an abridged sentence in physics. It is a formula of capital importance, although not a mathematical-physical equation. It truly means "An increase of energy corresponds to (or could be translated into, or could be obtained/manufactured by) an increase of the arithmetic product of the mass of matter by its respective speed raised
Avatrin
Hi

I need to relearn classical mechanics. More specifically, I need to relearn everything in this PDF:
http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9783319195957-t1.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1509999-p177402416

However, since I have taken this course before, I want to be a little over prepared. My background is in mathematics. I am not good at just memorizing formulas; I prefer knowing how they are deduced. So, I want a book to supplement the one we are using to better understand the physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
my recommendation to learn classical mechanics :
  • Classical Mechanics - David Morin
  • Classical Mechanics 3rd Edition - Goldstein
  • Classical Dynamics of Particle and System - Jerry.B Marion, Stephen T. Thornton

Avatrin said:
Hi

I need to relearn classical mechanics. More specifically, I need to relearn everything in this PDF:
http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9783319195957-t1.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1509999-p177402416

However, since I have taken this course before, I want to be a little over prepared. My background is in mathematics. I am not good at just memorizing formulas; I prefer knowing how they are deduced. So, I want a book to supplement the one we are using to better understand the physics.
"What explanation(s) a textbook gives of the collapse of the 1/3-year old Tacoma Narrows bridge in November 1940", is the best criterion. Compare the solution(s) given by your preferred primer of classical mechanics, with the explanations seen on internet, e.g. at Wikipedia.com or .fr. Too often since 1957 the american college-level physics-mechanics manuals/course-notes have given an incomplete/ shortened explanation of the failure, because of students' lack of knowledge (one or two credits) in differential equations. Since two or three decades, several textbooks fo Calculus1 (3 or 4 credits) contain a latter chapter on ODEs; this is better than nothing, though this chapter is generally skipped by the teacher. The first true, complete & most interesting explanation, has been presented to the public in 1959. But the current high-school-, the college- and freshman-university-levels courses still don't offer/ show it. Very stubborn is the typical American system of education who seemingly boats for teaching the quanta in modern physics to their teenagers or young adults who don't learn the true & fundamental notions of mechanics of waves of big suspended bridges. ____________________________________________ And concerning the equation e = mc^2 . It is a symbolic notational presentation of an abbridged sentence in physics. It is a formula of capital importance, although not a mathematical-physical equation. It truly means: "An increase of energy corresponds to ( or could be translated into, or could be obtained/manufactured by) an increase of the arithmetic product of the mass of matter by its respective speed raised at the power of two." As a result, the further addition of some related parameters (for instance belonging to astro-physics) appears less heretical. Thence your senses of logic & mathematics aren't hurted any more; in advanced physics, there is no place for fiction science.

Last edited:
Avatrin said:
Hi

1) "Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 8/e" by Raymond Serway + 1. A chapter on static equilibrium and elasticity; a last chapter on universal gravitation Nothing on general relativity. 2) "Schaum's Outiline of Engineering Mechanics: Statics", by W. McLean +3. (Wait for next edition which will give access on internet.)

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of macroscopic objects under the influence of forces. It is the foundation of all other branches of physics and is based on Newton's laws of motion.

Why is it important to learn classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics provides the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of objects in our everyday world. It also serves as a basis for understanding more advanced concepts in physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

What are the key concepts in classical mechanics?

The key concepts in classical mechanics include position, velocity, acceleration, mass, force, and energy. Other important concepts include momentum, torque, and angular momentum.

What are some real-world applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and biomechanics. For example, it is used in designing structures and machines, predicting the motion of celestial bodies, and understanding the movement of the human body.

What are some common misconceptions about classical mechanics?

One common misconception is that classical mechanics only applies to large objects and cannot explain the behavior of very small particles. However, classical mechanics is still a very useful and accurate model for macroscopic objects and can be used to make predictions about their behavior.