1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning materials for relativity

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    Hello scientists,

I'm interested in relativity, I have read alot about Einstein's experiments and studies in simple language.

But after watching interstellar movie I want to study relativity carefully from A to Z.

So I want you to recommend me books to study and understand relativity, and tell me what to start with, special or general ? And what's the requirements to start studying relativity ?

Thanks and sorry for long words

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2
    Special relativity will only really involve a little calculus, but if you haven't learned calculus, I recommend you start with that. I recommend MIT's OCW to learn calculus. There's no need to buy a book. You'll also need at least Newtonian physics, but also it wouldn't hurt to know some basic E&M. I used Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Physics for my courses. As far as special relativity goes, any textbook on Modern physics would be good enough for a basic introduction (though that wouldn't cover relativistic electrodynamics). You may also want to look into the World Science U website for lessons in special relativity.

As for general relativity, you will need to be very comfortable with special relativity, and you'll also need to have a very good grasp on calculus and probably linear algebra. You'll need to learn differential geometry. I'm not qualified to comment on that.

4. Sep 7, 2015 #3
    Thanks alot axmls

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted