Can self-taught physicists be as respected as those with formal education?

In summary, an expert summarizer would say that a self-taught physicist who knows as much as or more than one formally taught physicist would be met with skepticism by those in the field. They would need to provide proof of their knowledge and ability to work independently. Without a degree, a self-taught physicist would not be able to compete for a job in the field, and would likely be met with skepticism by those in the field.
Tom Mattson said:
That is going to hurt you a lot more than not knowing general relativity.

Yeah that does seem to be a fundamental problem with me. But as I said, my aim here isn't to get a job; it's to know whether or not warp drive is possible. And I have been in contact with a few professional physicists and engineers, in addition to having pretty much the entirety of everything that's been written on the subject on my HD. So this is far from "learning in isolation."

Physics news on Phys.org
However- in order to keep as many options open as possible, I think it would be best if I get some ADD counselling (or something equivalent) and give a uni. degree a shot, while continuing with this on the side. That would be much better than making a final decision not to try it (even if I find it impossible)