1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Least squares estimation

Tags:
  1. Oct 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that object 1 weighs [itex]\theta_1[/itex] and object two weights [itex]\theta_2[/itex]. Then each object is weighed once and then together getting three observations [itex] y_1,y_2,y_3[/itex]. The scale gives unbiased weights with normally distributed error (constant variance) Find the least square estimates for [itex]\theta_1[/itex] and [itex]\theta_2[/itex].
    2. Relevant equations
    The ls estimates for theta 1 and theta 2 is ## \hat{\theta}=(X^TX)^{-1}X^TY##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wrote the full mode as such
    [itex] y_1=\theta_1+\epsilon_1[/itex]
    [itex] y_2=\theta_2+\epsilon_2[/itex]
    [itex] y_3=\theta_1+\theta_2+\epsilon_3[/itex]
    Then it follows that in matrix form we get ## \begin{bmatrix} y_{1} \\ y_{2} \\ y_{3} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} \ \theta_1 \\ \theta_2 \\ \theta_1+\theta_2 \end{bmatrix}+\begin{bmatrix} \epsilon_1 \\ \epsilon_2 \\ \epsilon_3 \end{bmatrix}## ##=\begin{bmatrix} y_{1} \\ y_{2} \\ y_{3} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 &0 \\ 0 & 1 \\1 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} \theta_1 \\ \theta_2 \end{bmatrix}+\begin{bmatrix} \epsilon_1 \\ \epsilon_2 \\ \epsilon_3 \end{bmatrix}##.

Then from here I got as my final answer
    ## \hat{\theta}=(X^TX)^{-1}X^TY=\begin{bmatrix} \hat{\theta_1} \\ \hat{\theta_2} \end{bmatrix} =\begin{bmatrix} y_1-y_2 \\ \frac{-1}{2}y_1+y_2+\frac{1}{2}y_3 \end{bmatrix}## The thing the I am not sure about is if I wrote my full model correctly. I was thinking that the observations are just the true weight of the object with some random error. But I am not sure.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to your model you are dealing with a very smart scale. It says to itself "I remember the errors ##\epsilon_1## and ##\epsilon_2## that I made when the guy weighed objects 1 and 2 separately. I see now that he is weighing the two objects together, so I had better add up the two errors I made before". As I said, a very smart scale indeed.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  4. Oct 30, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right, but the random error applies to the measurements, not to the weights.

5. Oct 30, 2015 #4
    Oops now I fixed that. I don't know why I placed that in the first place. So I changed ##\epsilon_1+\epsilon_2## to ##\epsilon_3##. I think it looks correct now.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  6. Oct 30, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I would say so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted