Leaving a 2nd Master's degree to accept an offer abroad

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's background in studying physics and their current situation of considering a job offer in the US while pursuing a second Master's degree. The individual is unsure of whether or not completing the second Master's will be beneficial for their future career prospects, and is seeking advice from those familiar with the American job market. Some suggest taking the job offer, while others point out that a PhD may be necessary for career advancement in the US. The individual also clarifies that their first Master's was in engineering with a focus on mathematics, and their current research thesis is not directly related to the job offer. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities of navigating career options in the field of physics.
EasyProgram
This is my first post so don't be too harsh. I was just looking to get additional opinions in order to make a more informed decision.

Since I always had the idea of becoming an astrophysicist I enrolled in Bsc in physics engineering (5 years) here, and due to being the top student I was invited to do a Msc in the same field after my 2nd year abroad in Europe (fully funded), so I decided, why not? It could give me some important connections and maybe find some PhD offers abroad.

However, at the end I wasn't able to apply to an abroad PhD due to lack of funds so I decided to start a 2-year Msc in Physics here with the option to directly access a 3-year PhD (5 years in total, like in America), as they didn't accept my abroad Masters (I know, kind of a waste I didn't know early by anyways). While I have received several jobs offer in my country due to my degree, I usually rejected them due to being poorly paid and my dream to continue doing research. However, 9 months into my current Masters I received a pretty good offer to work in America in a more applied field in engineering (due to my background in numerical analysis), with quite a good salary, so I've been considering if I should take it and leave my Master's. However, I'm afraid how could this affect my future job prospects, and if it would better to ask for one year to finish it (note that my current Master's isn't related to the job offer (my program is fully funded so I really don't pay tuition, but I would have to refund my expenses scholarship when possible).

Moreover, recently I've been kind of dissapointed with the opportunities in academia for physicists, as not only the chance of success is extremedly limited (I know a lot of PhD graduates who did their postdocs abroad and now are underemployeed) but outside America there's no really too much support for science, so PhD's are poorly paid here in Brazil. So I'm really considering that, if I don't take this job offer, I'll probably won't stay in academia after my PhD.

So I would like to ask mostly to people in America, would finishing my 2nd Master's help me in climbing positions if I get a job there? Or would it be better if I leave my program now and begin working abroad to acquire experience? I don't want to give the impression that I don't finish things, but also that I can't decide between careers.

Physics news on Phys.org
A second master's in physics by itself won't help advance your career in the US (academic or non-academic). If you are doing a research thesis, and the knowledge and experience gained during that research happens to map into the needs of a prospective employer, that would be a plus. That's the situation you already have in hand based on your previous work and current job offer. Why jeopardize it for something that might (or might not) happen? If you want to advance your career prospects in the US based on academic credentials, you'll need a PhD in physics or a master's in a different field.

Last edited:
Take the job. You'd be crazy not to.

CrysPhys said:
A second master's in physics by itself won't help advance your career in the US (academic or non-academic). If you are doing a research thesis, and the knowledge and experience gained during that research happens to map into the needs of a prospective employer, that would be a plus. That's the situation you already have in hand based on your previous work and current job offer. Why jeopardize it for something that might (or might not) happen? If you want to advance your career prospects in the US based on academic credentials, you'll need a PhD in physics or a master's in a different field.

Actually my first Master's was in engineering with terminal branch in mathematics and non-linear phenomena, hence why I wasn't accepted to a direct PhD in Astrophysics here (it is a recognized grade in the US, though). But indeed, my current research thesis is barely connected to what my current employeer offers (save for some programming aspects), so following it won't definitely help me get more experience and will only be more for pure intellectual satisfaction. But indeed, I think it would be better to go to work there and probably later apply to a PhD with university funding if I want to do more research.

Whether it's fair or not, I actually look on two masters with some degree of suspicion. But like CrysPhys said, that second masters could come with valuable skills or learnings that could quickly outweigh any bias.

Having two masters degrees definitely won't help climbing positions. You've already checked the "have a masters" box. The next question is just whether you have the skills/fit/luck necessary to be promoted.

Likes Zap
Good call. I think having multiple bachelors or multiple masters degrees gives people the impression that you're a professional student or maybe that you are kind of lost or not sure what you are doing, which is usually true for people with multiple BS and MS degrees. I met one person who has two bachelor degrees who is an exception to that.

Thanks for your advice. In my case my intention was always to go only for a Master's and PhD in Physics, but since I just happened to receive an scholarship and the opportunity to live abroad, I took it as it only extended my B.S. duration by one year.

In that case, on a more economic note, I would like to know what do you think a good salary is. Let's just say that I'm offered just around 50k a year, which I don't know if it's a good one given my preparation.

EasyProgram said:
In that case, on a more economic note, I would like to know what do you think a good salary is. Let's just say that I'm offered just around 50k a year, which I don't know if it's a good one given my preparation.

It depends on how much you're leveraging what you've learned. For someone with a relevant masters, I don't think 50k - 60k is a bad starting salary though certainly there are people who get more. For someone with a PhD, I would think anything less than 80k would be disappointing.

However, if your education is less relevant (e.g. going into analytics with a physics degree) you might have to start lower. I mean, I know plenty of examples of people who didn't, but you need to be willing to take a hit to get in the door.

It's going to be tough to get a job in the US though. The competition from foreign workers is pretty fierce.

He said the job offer is in the US. Fifty thousand is a good starting salary, especially while being a foreigner with no student debt. I could make it on 20k with no debt and probably have enough to buy a car and a house.

EasyProgram said:
What city and state is the job offer in? The cost of living in the US varies over a large range as a function of location.

Locrian said:
It's going to be tough to get a job in the US though. The competition from foreign workers is pretty fierce.
Precisely. Since he has an offer in hand from a US company, it would be wise for him to accept it: there appears to be little benefit from the second master's, and it's a gamble whether he'll get another offer upon completion of the second master's.

Likes symbolipoint

What factors should I consider before leaving a 2nd Master's degree to accept an offer abroad?

Before making a decision, it is important to consider the reputation and ranking of the university offering the second Master's degree as well as the one abroad. You should also consider the job prospects and opportunities available in the country you are considering, as well as the cost of living and cultural differences.

Will leaving a 2nd Master's degree affect my future career prospects?

This will largely depend on the field you are studying and the job market in the country you are considering. In some cases, having an international degree can be seen as a valuable asset and may open up new opportunities. However, it is important to research and understand the job market and requirements in your chosen field before making a decision.

How will leaving a 2nd Master's degree affect my academic progress?

If you decide to leave a 2nd Master's degree to accept an offer abroad, you will have to start over in a new program. This means you may have to repeat courses or spend additional time completing your degree. However, if the country you are considering has a similar education system, it may be possible to transfer some credits from your previous degree.

What are the potential benefits of leaving a 2nd Master's degree to accept an offer abroad?

Studying abroad can offer many benefits, such as gaining a global perspective, improving language skills, and experiencing a new culture. It can also provide valuable networking opportunities and enhance your resume. Additionally, the job market in the country you are considering may be more favorable for your field of study.

What should I do if I am still unsure about leaving a 2nd Master's degree to accept an offer abroad?

If you have any doubts or concerns, it is important to seek advice from your academic advisor, career counselor, or other trusted individuals who can provide insight and guidance. You may also consider reaching out to alumni or professionals in your field who have studied or worked abroad to get their perspective. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal goals and priorities.